Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD Advice Needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFD Advice Needed

I sent a PFD letter to a CA a little over a month ago and haven't heard any thing from them. Yesterday, when looking at my credit report, I noticed that the CA is now reporting "consumer disputes this debt" or something along those lines.

Can someone explain that to me? I've never tried to dispute the item, what should my next step be?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PFD Advice Needed

Its a tactic they use, if you hear nothing from them and there there are no other changes to your CR send them another PFD at the rate of 1 a month.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean by tactic? Like they're trying to stall it or something? This isn't going to somehow reset the clock is it?

Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What do you mean by tactic? Like they're trying to stall it or something? This isn't going to somehow reset the clock is it?

It updates the TL to todays date when they do this, if it had not been updating already when you remove the dispute comments there maybe a Fico score drop, while its in dispute certain aspects are removed from Fico scoring. Nobody reads that you are not disputing and the law says if someone is disputing a TL then it must show as in dispute. This maneuver by them cannot reset the SOL or CRTP clock, once the DoFD is set and the account is COed thats it.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, got it. Thanks. Is there anything I can do on my end? Should i dispute the dispute? I was really hoping they'd take the PFD offer, but I guess they're going to pass. I'll just keep sending the letter out each month. 

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah, got it. Thanks. Is there anything I can do on my end? Should i dispute the dispute? I was really hoping they'd take the PFD offer, but I guess they're going to pass. I'll just keep sending the letter out each month. 

There would be no reason to dispute the dispute comments you would just call the CRA and tell them you are not disputing anything and you want it removed.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many CAs won't put PFD in writing. If you're determined to get the TL off / settle the debt, call them regarding PFD. Even if they say no, you could pay it anyways, and then follow-up regarding PFD; sending goodwill letters. It's a roll of the dice, but often works out for those who put some effort in following-up.

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA credit reporting manual defines pending disputes as those filed under the provisions of the FCRA or FCBA, not informal requests for CR deletion of DV requests under the FDCPA.

This forum is replete with posts relating to placing of disipute flags in consumer credit reports when the consumer has only sent a PFD, GW, or DV request.

This indicates intentional harassment on the part of some creditors or debt colelctors.

I would suggest, in view of the repetitive nature of such actions, that the consumer file a formal complaint with the CFPB for any such reportings.

Enough repetitive complaints for a given furnisher will prompt some action on the part of the CFPB.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.