Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD Alternative

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PFD Alternative

@Minato08 wrote:

Sigh, here we go with the town crier trying to assert himself.  If you don't understand something, just say so.  There's no need to try to be insulting.  1-207 is not the safe harbor clause you spoke of by the way.  You conveniently ignore that you're wrong just to force an argument.   

This is not an accord and satisfaction.  Look up that definition, wikipedia has a nice simple one for you.  This is a separate agreement.  You may not know this, because there's no google page spoon feeding it to you, but a properly written contract can circumvent statute so long as it is not prohibited by statute.  Additionally, you don't seem to understand the "why" behind what you read, which is key in truly understanding legal matters. 

Although your foot is already in your mouth, 1-207 doesn't apply here for two reasons: 

1.  There are no rights to reserve.  When you understand that, you'll understand that if you get paid all of what is owed to you, there is nothing to pursue.  The fact that this is not an accord and satisfaction is relevant here.  The purpose behind that is to pursue the rest of what is owed to you.   

2.  I already explained to you that this is better understood as an offer and acceptance.  The offer was voided if any rights were reserved.

Your blanket application of the law, as well as your outstanding copy-paste ability,  illustrates your status as an armchair lawyer.  Please stop pretending.  You're clearly missing the issue altogether.

This forum is for people seeking help, not for watching unqualified persons beat their chest about the forums and feign legal expertise.  As it stands, you're doing more harm than good.  If you find that it's your calling, go ahead and take the LSAT and go to law school and put something behind what you say.  That way you can be more helpful, instead of wasting everyone's time.

Although I've shown you twice that you're clearly wrong, I'm sure you'll come back with another delusional response about something else completely irrelevant.  Maybe the next one will invoke the Rule Against Perpetuities. 

Nice armchair quarterbacking.  I surely hope just because you can use Google and read an article about, say, brain surgery you will not try to tell us you are a brain surgeon.

By definition accord and satisfaction is a new contractual obligation.  However,since you either missed first year contract law or, more likely, Google Law School did not offer it, not only doesn't Wikipedia replace a basic understanding of the law, it is not recognized as the ultimate legal resource -- well, to you armchair quarterbacks it may.  Smiley Wink

The legal standard (i.e. not Wikipedia) of an accord and satisfaction is that the parties agree to give and accept something in settlement of a claim.  Contrary to what you got from Google Law School, a claim is not limited to the amount of money owed, but also conditions, rights and obligations surrounding that claim.  Again, this is what we learn in a real law school. 

Unless you actually are a member of the bar (highly unlikely) and somehow get appointed to the NY State Court of Appeals and manage to overturn Horn, you are only trying to confuse people with your uneducated opinion of what you think the law schould be and, in effect, misleading people here who may get burned when they try your stunt.

Message 11 of 23
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I'm afraid this thread is in danger of drifting away from the original post. It's easy for our egos to get bruised if someone does not hold the same views as we do but let's try not to get personal with our comments. We can be respectful and still hold true to our opinions.

Message 12 of 23
Minato08
Valued Member

Well you get no points for your ability to read cues (or cases for that matter), but yes, I am a lawyer. Marinevietvet is right and my response is not going to be a personal back and forth.  Instead, this is just to prevent readers of this forum from being misled and frightened away from taking a viable and completely legal course of action.

It has been asserted that because they're both separate agreements, they must both be accord and satisfaction.

An accord and satisfaction is an agreement to accept less than is legally due in order to wrap up the matter.  The definition can be viewed by everyone at <  http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=2303>.  A fundamental facet of an accord and satisfaction is that there is a genuine dispute.  In most of the cases where people will see fit to use the method I proposed, there is no dispute.  It is a payment for the full/entire amount owed and claimed to be owed by the creditor.

06, cites a case which has no bearing on the matter. If one just reads the case, the problem is obvious.  In Horn, the debtor sent the creditor a check for less than the amount due and wrote on the back "payment in full."  The New York Court of Appeals held that a creditor may preserve his right to the balance of a disputed claim, by explicit reservation in his endorsement of a check tendered by the debtor as full payment.  In other words, if a debtor offers the creditor less than what he is owed (typical accord and satisfaction) by a check which notes that it is payment in full, the creditor may reserve his right to recover the remaining amount. 

This is significantly distinct from my original post where I offered the creditor exactly the total amount of what was due.  Therefore, it was not an accord and satisfaction and does not fall under the Court's ruling in Horn

My method conforms to the criteria set forth in the UCC which make the check conditional upon acceptance of the agreement.  The recipient could not cash the check without accepting the terms of the agreement.  I took a secondary measure by stating that the check is void if the CA attempts to reserve any rights. 

The method I employed is useful in the many instances which I read here, where the CA refuses to put anything in writing for a PFD.  If a CA breaches the agreement and cashes the check without keeping up their end, you have valid grounds to sue.  It is highly unlikely that any CA would do so because they got more money than they expected, I'm sure.  Also, there is no benefit to them to fight, again, they received all the money there is to be had. 

I've presented all of this in such a way as the reader can verify what I'm saying.  If someone believes there is something which I can elaborate upon, feel free to ask.  I post here to be helpful and nothing more.

By the way, a copy of the Horn case can be viewed by everyone (especially those that don't have a subscription to WestLaw) at http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=4513264699089221675&q=horn+waterproofing+court+of+appeal...  Feel free to read it for yourselves and verify what I have posted.

Message 13 of 23
mauve
Valued Contributor

Seriously, it's great that both of you love to argue, but it seems that some of what you are saying can be construed as personal insults.  I, for one, have to breathe deeply when reading the lawyerly opinions on here so as to not be offended, because while it's very helpful to have a technical answer to a question, it can also *seem* harsh.  Plus, while the law is the law, it is my understanding that a large part of the job for lawyers and judges is to argue over what any individual statute or precedent MEANS.  There's room for interpretation, there's spirit vs. letter of the law, etc.  You want to see this board erupt?  Mention that you think cell phone debt has a 2 year Federal SoL based on some law about telecommunication and radio or whatever.  There's plenty of argument back and forth on that one.  Minato, thank you for sharing your method.  06, thank you for pointing out that it isn't necessarily 100% ironclad or safe.   

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

An accord & satisfaction is not exclusive to instances where one pays less than the amount owed.  Nor do you somehow magically create a new contract by unilaterally changing the terms of the first.  Again, simple first year.

In the vast majority of states, a restrictive endorsement is legally effective when:

1.  You already have an agreement with the other party to do something and your restrictive endorsement serves only to reiterate that agreement;

2.  You have a good faith dispute over the amount owed and the other party has been previously made aware of that.

In New York a creditor can negate a restrictive endorsement simply by adding terms such as "under protest" or "without prejudice."  The Horn court never tailored their opinion to state that a reservation of rights was only available when payment was for less than the total amount due.  For those challenged by legal terminology, the Horn court simply ruled that in general acceptance of the amount of the check under a reservation of rights fails to enter an accord and satisfaction, much less a new contractual agreement.  That   UCC Section 1-207 as liberally construed is applicable.  Again, for those with limited understanding, a reservation of rights can negate a restrictive endorsement when the amount tendered is less than the amount due or when the terms of the restrictive endorsement fundamentally alter the terms of the contract for which that payment is due. 

If you have a CA that verbally agrees to a PFD, then a restrictive endorsement would serve simply to reaffirm that agreement and the CA would be bound to perform.  This is hardly a groundbreaking concept.  Otherwise, the CA can accept and negotiate the check safely ignoring the additional terms you wish to impose.  It really is that simple.  That some creditors may just chose to comply in order to avoid entertaining frivolous further drivel is a very real possibility, but not a legal requirement.  With that in mind, one needs to choose their battles wisely.  The odds may be in your favor if dealing with your average unsophisticated JDB or CA.  Try it with debts for elevated amounts with, say, BOA, CrapOne or Chase and you'll likely find yourself really SOL.  Don't try the PFD stunt with amounts that you otherwise can't afford to pay without getting a deletion.

You also have to consider other factors.  Some creditors explicitly state in the cardholder agreement and / or on your monthly statement that they expressly disavow payments with restrictive endorsements unless sent in a specific manner. 

Dubious legal skills aside, use common sense.  Believing that a creditor must delete (or provide access to the space shuttle, a starring role on Sesame Street or their first male-born child) just because you were clever enough to place a restrictive endorsement on a check  is akin to finding credible HSN or PTL Club calims to be able to cure cancer with two M&M's and a bottle of grape juice -- equally as absurd as the claim that lack of personal jurisdiction cannot necessitate a court to vacate a judgment.  Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 23
sjt
Senior Contributor

COngrats on your sucess with a PFD. It seems they work for collection items like a utility bill, subscriptions, medical bills, etc. Im still wondering how sucessful it can be for credit cards and those types of credit.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 16 of 23
mauve
Valued Contributor

Grape juice plus 2 M&Ms sounds really really gross.  THERE HAS TO BE ANOTHER WAY! 

Dubious legal skills aside, use common sense.  Believing that a creditor must delete (or provide access to the space shuttle, a starring role on Sesame Street or their first male-born child) just because you were clever enough to place a restrictive endorsement on a check  is akin to finding credible HSN or PTL Club calims to be able to cure cancer with two M&M's and a bottle of grape juice -- equally as absurd as the claim that lack of personal jurisdiction cannot necessitate a court to vacate a judgment.  Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mauve wrote:

Grape juice plus 2 M&Ms sounds really really gross.  THERE HAS TO BE ANOTHER WAY! 

Orange juice? 

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what's a "newbie" to the FICO Forums suppose to believe?  Minato08 seems pretty sure of himself...

Message 19 of 23
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So what's a "newbie" to the FICO Forums suppose to believe?  Minato08 seems pretty sure of himself...

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Do your own research, Read as many older threads as you can. Take in all opinions, advice, and suggestions but remember that in the end you have to decide what will work best for your personal situation.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.