Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD/DV/GOODWILL??? IM SO CONFUSED....

tag
T50
Contributor

PFD/DV/GOODWILL??? IM SO CONFUSED....

Ok so I have received my annual credit report.  I have gone through all of my collections or baddies on my cr.  I have found the DOFD, and the estimated date of removal.  My question is this.  If I DV any old debts, does that change the activity on it and change the estimated date of removal?  Or does it change date of last activity? How does that play into my fico score?  I was planning on sending a dv letter to all of the ca's, since some of these are medical.  Then I was going to send PFD's to the accounts that I agree with.  If no luck with the PFD's then I was going to send in certified check or money order to pay the amount if I agree to it.  Then was going to send a goodwill letter for removal.  Does it sound like I am heading down the right path???  Please let me know any additional information I should have...

Starting Score: 506
Current Score: 565
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: PFD/DV/GOODWILL??? IM SO CONFUSED....

Those are certainly your main options.

As for credit reporting, a DV is a private debt collection practices issue between you and the debt collector.  It is not a credit reporting issue, other than if you send a timely DV, it will invoke an automatic cease collection bar that will prevent additional credit reporting until such time as they provide the requested debt verification.

The date for credit report exclusion of a collection is based solely on your DOFD on the OC account, which is never influenced by any activities between you and the debt collector.

As for the DV or PFD path, you should take one or the other (I am assuming any DV would be timely).

If you send a timely DV, the debt collector will be precluded from PFD negotiations until such time as they provide debt verification.

Also, be aware of the SOL status of the debt.  If still within SOL, they have their own options.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.