Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD Example Letter

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: PFD Example Letter

The debt validation process applies only to debt collectors, and is a process under the FDCPA, not a dispute under the FCRA..

A consumer sends a DV directly to the debt collector.  The CRAs are not involved.

DV requests can be made without showing of an inaccuracy in reported information, as they are a "dispute" only of the assertion of a debt, and not a dispute under the FCRA of the accuracy of reported information.

There is no provision for filing a DV request with a CRA.

A dispute under the FCRA requires a showing of some inaccuracy in reported information.

A "dispute" that simply requests validation of a debt is not a proper dispute under the FCRA, and can be dismissed without any reinvestigation by the CRA.

It does not estalbish any required 30-day period for reinvestigation, or deletion of the collection if no verification is provided.

Deletion based on a dispute under the FCRA only applies to the information asserted to be inaccurate.  No assertion of inaccuracy = no issue of deletion of reported information.

Message 461 of 471
rasczak

Is it ok to use the PFD in it's current format if i intend to pay/settle the debt?

Message 462 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@liveguy wrote:

@sisyphuswins wrote:

I am really really confused.   You say don't use the word "dispute" but it's there in the first line of the letter.   And you say don't say you'll request validation if they don't accept the PFD, but again it's right there in the penultimate paragraph.   And you say don't put time limits, but there they are, in two places.   So, is this an awesome letter, as all the comments indicate, or is it an awesome example of what not to do?    I'm trying to put a PFD letter together for my BF's Capitol One account and i found this through a search, but it's made me more confused than when I started.   Smiley Frustrated

EXACTLY!

It's like this letter is what NOT to do (per the disclaimer) yet it is being lauded as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I dont get it.

Which is it????

This really confused me, too! 

This never did get answered. Is the letter a good one, or not? A lot of conflicting advice in the mod notes.

Message 463 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 464 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@liveguy wrote:

@sisyphuswins wrote:

I am really really confused.   You say don't use the word "dispute" but it's there in the first line of the letter.   And you say don't say you'll request validation if they don't accept the PFD, but again it's right there in the penultimate paragraph.   And you say don't put time limits, but there they are, in two places.   So, is this an awesome letter, as all the comments indicate, or is it an awesome example of what not to do?    I'm trying to put a PFD letter together for my BF's Capitol One account and i found this through a search, but it's made me more confused than when I started.   Smiley Frustrated

EXACTLY!

It's like this letter is what NOT to do (per the disclaimer) yet it is being lauded as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I dont get it.

Which is it????

This really confused me, too! 

This never did get answered. Is the letter a good one, or not? A lot of conflicting advice in the mod notes.

I also am confused by this.  Was the purpose of the mod note beneath the original post to advise people NOT to use this letter?  I felt the letter was a bit too combative, myself.

Message 465 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, that's why I was looking for an update on it. It sounded way too forceful and aggressive. Yet, it shows up in the list of example PFDs.

Message 466 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a $641 t-mobile bill that was about six years old. Apparently it was sold to Convergent Outsourcing and now shows a date of April 2016 on both my EX and EQ credit reports.  I want to get it off as it is making a big difference on my credit score.  What is a typical offer/ percentage on a PDF.  I'm sure the collection agency bought it for pennies on the dollar.  Can anyone offer words of wisdom on this? Thanks in advance for your input.

Message 467 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Tim,

I know you wrote this email some time ago about not using a PFD letter.  However, how long did it take to have "paid" on your credit repoirt and then how long did you wait to request debt verification of the collection account from the 3 credit reporting agencies?  Subsequent to that, how long did it take for it to be removed all together?  Thanks.

Message 468 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent the letter and never heard from them. So its still on there but aging.  Its the only bad thing on my credit.

Message 469 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confused, the bottom of the post in blue says not to mention the word dispute, yet the word dispute is in the example letter. In blue it also says not to threaten if they do not accept but that is also mentioned in the example letter. Can someone explain?

Message 470 of 471
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.