Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD Letter

tag
FicoJordan
Valued Member

PFD Letter

Hello Peoples,

Back in March I negotiated a debt with a CA and recieved a PFD letter stating that once the balance was paid they would delete the item from my credit report.  Well needless to say I satisfied my end of the bargain and they did not.  Instead of it being deleted the listing now reads "This was a collection account paid in full".  I tried to dispute the listing with all three CRA's but it just keeps coming back as being accurate.  I still have the letter in my files, how could I send this to the CRA's to have the listing removed?  Has anyone ever had any luck sending a pfd to the cra's and getting a listing removed?

Thanks

Obstacles are things you see when you take your eyes off your goals
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PFD Letter

Some have had success by disputing with a copy of the PFD acceptance. If I had that I would start with a GW-like nudge to the one reporting with a copy of the PFD acceptance.

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs have a written policy set forth in their reporting manual that reporting is not to be deleted on the basis of payment of the dedt.

Their intent is to prevent subjective deletion of accurate information, thus providing more complete and accurate credit history to their customers.

Thus, CRAs are unlikely to intervene in enforcing a private agreement to do so.

I suggest two approaches to deal with the issue.

First, it is simply a bad business practice to make promises that are not fulfilled.  Filing a formal complaint with your local BBB thus might lead to some results.

Second, you have a contractual agreement.  Most PFD promises are only oral contracts, but with a written statement, you would most likely have a slam dunk wiiner should you bring civil action for breach of contract.  As remedy, the court can order them to delete.

Message 3 of 7
FicoJordan
Valued Member

Thanks guys.  So I shouldnt send a dispute to the cra's with a copy of the PFD letter because what i did suggests what they do not do.  As for the GW like nudge to the CA, do you mean something in terms like "hey remember that agreement we had well you didn't follow through with it" in other words, should it be a firm or friendly  letter?

The one issue I have with contacting the CA is the amount of time they will take for them to respond. 

Message 4 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

That's what I'd do. Sometimes they forget to delete and a nudge in the right direction usually gets it fixed. As a fallback then I'd dispute w/ a copy of the letter but only after GW attempts fail. A dispute can take up to 30-45 days and a GW request might take hours if you call, fax, and/or e-mail. And worst case if they deny everything then I'd proceed into BBB complaints, FTC complaints, state complaints, etc.

ETA...

Dear Sir or Madam:

I pulled my credit reports on x/xx/xxxx and noticed that XYZ CA is still reporting a paid collection. I had sent in a pay-for-delete request on x/xx/xxxx and XYZ CA responded on x/xx/xxxx with a written acknowledgement that they'll delete the entire tradeline from each of the three credit reporting agencies in exchange for a payment in full of $xx.xx (or settlement in full of $xx.xx). I had paid that and after payment, instead of deleting, XYZ CA updated the tradeline within each credit report to reflect as paid.

I'm writing today with a kind nudge to have this removed from each of the three credit reporting agencies.

If oyu have any questions, yada yada yada.

-you

Message 5 of 7
FicoJordan
Valued Member

Illecs thanks!  I will let you know what happens.

Message 6 of 7
Rkalynsmith
Regular Contributor

Well? How'd it go?

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: 721
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.