Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD - Not sure what to do with response

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFD - Not sure what to do with response

Hi Community -

I would like to ask for advice on what to do after sending a PDF. 

I sent a collection agency a PFD (account was only $40 and I offered to pay it in full) and I received a letter back that is below.

Our office has reviewed the above-referenced account and we have made the decission to dicontinue our collection efforts.

Rest assured that a deletion request will be submitted to the credit bureaus for any information regarding the account that we reported to them.

Does this mean I do not have to pay the $40 or is this their letter to remove the account and I need to send them the money?

Not really sure what to do here.

Thanks in advanced.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
mamatried
Contributor

Re: PFD - Not sure what to do with response

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Community -

I would like to ask for advice on what to do after sending a PDF. 

I sent a collection agency a PFD (account was only $40 and I offered to pay it in full) and I received a letter back that is below.

Our office has reviewed the above-referenced account and we have made the decission to dicontinue our collection efforts.

Rest assured that a deletion request will be submitted to the credit bureaus for any information regarding the account that we reported to them.

Does this mean I do not have to pay the $40 or is this their letter to remove the account and I need to send them the money?

For just $40, I'd pay it asap and then mark your calendar to check to be sure it gets deleted. Save all correspondence / proof of payment. It sounds very much like that is what their letter is for. Pay it, make sure they delete it and move on. 

Not really sure what to do here.

Thanks in advanced.

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the quick reply.  I thought I would receive a letter agreeing to my contract letter (PFD) that I sent, but receiving this letter caught me by surprise.

But I do understand that they need to make it offical and probably cannot say that if you pay we will delete - just so it dosn't come back on them for deletion for payment.

Should I send money order?

Message 3 of 11
mamatried
Contributor

I'd either pay money order via certified mail or via a credit card that is not linked to your checking account, eg. a prepaid credit card or one of your low limit cards

MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK Thank you.  The collection agency is about 15 minutes from my house.  Should I send certified mail or drive it to them?

Message 5 of 11
mamatried
Contributor

Weird! If you do/can pay in person, make sure to get a receipt. They may not take in person payments so you may still have to send certified mail. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just called the collection agency and they said that they will let me come in.  I guess they have caller ID - LOL - since she said is this Mr. XXXX.  She said to come in and ask for her supervisor and he will take my payment - which is the CEO on record for them and I sent he PFD to that person.

Going to get money order and take it to them now.

Thanks for the advice.

Message 7 of 11
mamatried
Contributor

GL! Be sure to come back in a few weeks when you see it come off to give all the lurkers an update!! 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Do.  I kinda like smaller collection agencies. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
mamatried
Contributor

If I could talk to myself 10 years ago, I'd like to tell myself collectors are not as scary and evil as I thought back then... if I would of worked with them versus avoiding them I would of come wayyyy further, way faster!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.