Did you mean: 

PFD Response from Capital Accounts

tag
bman1029
Established Member

PFD Response from Capital Accounts

Here is what I sent them:

Dear Collection Manager:

This letter is in response to your credit report entry on 8/2010 related to the debt listed above. I wish to save us both some time and effort by settling this debt.

Please be aware that this is not an acknowledgment or acceptance of the debt, as I have not received any verification of the debt. Nor is this a promise to pay and is not a payment agreement unless you provide a response as detailed below.

I am aware that your company has the ability to report this debt to the credit bureaus as you deem necessary. Furthermore, you have the ability to change the listing since you are the information furnisher.

I am willing to pay this debt in full in return for your agreement to remove all information regarding this debt from the credit reporting agencies within ten calendar days of payment. If you agree to the terms, I will send certified payment in the amount of $82.00 payable to Capital Accounts in exchange to have all information related to this debt removed from all of my credit files.

If you accept this offer, you also agree not to discuss the offer with any third-party, excluding the original creditor. If you accept the offer, please prepare a letter on your company letterhead agreeing to the terms. This letter should be signed by an authorized agent of Capital Accounts. The letter will be treated as a contract and subject to the laws of my state.

As granted by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I have the right to dispute this alleged debt.

Please forward your agreement to the address listed above or via email.  I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Their first response:

This letter is to confirm we have instructed the three national credit bureaus to reflect this payment activity for acount XXXXX if it is paid in full by February 12th, 2014

Balance: $923

So they have the balance wrong.  Way wrong.  I owe $82.  So I send this response via email:

Good Morning,

I received your letter in the mail that you find my proposal acceptable, however in your letter you referenced a balance of $900.xx.  In accordance with all my credit reports and the validation you sent me, the balance is $82.00.  Can you please send a revised letter with the correct amount so that you can get paid and this can be removed from my credit reports.

Thank you,

Brian Williams

They respond with the same as before, but with amount corrected

This letter is to confirm we have instructed the three national credit bureaus to reflect this payment activity for account XXXX if it is paid in full by February 20, 2014

Balance- $82.97

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you all think?  Their term of reflecting "payment activity" has me concerned.  I know they won't specifically acknowledge a PFD because of their agreement with the CRA's. 

Do I have any recourse if they don't delete?  Should I send my payment CMRRR with a letter restating payment for deletion?  Write something on the check?

This is the first repsonse I have received from a PFD.  Want to make the right moves going forward.  As always, your help is supremely appreciated.

Their responses to my emails have always been via postal mail.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: PFD Response from Capital Accounts

@bman1029 wrote:

Here is what I sent them:

Dear Collection Manager:

This letter is in response to your credit report entry on 8/2010 related to the debt listed above. I wish to save us both some time and effort by settling this debt.

Please be aware that this is not an acknowledgment or acceptance of the debt, as I have not received any verification of the debt. Nor is this a promise to pay and is not a payment agreement unless you provide a response as detailed below.

I am aware that your company has the ability to report this debt to the credit bureaus as you deem necessary. Furthermore, you have the ability to change the listing since you are the information furnisher.

I am willing to pay this debt in full in return for your agreement to remove all information regarding this debt from the credit reporting agencies within ten calendar days of payment. If you agree to the terms, I will send certified payment in the amount of $82.00 payable to Capital Accounts in exchange to have all information related to this debt removed from all of my credit files.

If you accept this offer, you also agree not to discuss the offer with any third-party, excluding the original creditor. If you accept the offer, please prepare a letter on your company letterhead agreeing to the terms. This letter should be signed by an authorized agent of Capital Accounts. The letter will be treated as a contract and subject to the laws of my state.

As granted by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I have the right to dispute this alleged debt.

Please forward your agreement to the address listed above or via email.  I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Their first response:

This letter is to confirm we have instructed the three national credit bureaus to reflect this payment activity for account XXXXX if it is paid in full by February 12th, 2014

So they have the balance wrong.  Way wrong.  I owe $82.  So I send this response via email:

Good Morning,

I received your letter in the mail that you find my proposal acceptable, however in your letter you referenced a balance of $900.xx.  In accordance with all my credit reports and the validation you sent me, the balance is $82.00.  Can you please send a revised letter with the correct amount so that you can get paid and this can be removed from my credit reports.

Thank you,

Brian Williams

They respond with the same as before, but with amount corrected

This letter is to confirm we have instructed the three national credit bureaus to reflect this payment activity for account XXXX if it is paid in full by February 20, 2014

Balance- $82.97

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you all think?  Their term of reflecting "payment activity" has me concerned.  I know they won't specifically acknowledge a PFD because of their agreement with the CRA's. 

Do I have any recourse if they don't delete?  Should I send my payment CMRRR with a letter restating payment for deletion?  Write something on the check?

This is the first reposes I have received from a PFD.  Want to make the right moves going forward.  As always, your help is supremely appreciated.

Their responses to my emails have always been via postal mail.

I don't think you have any recourse if they don't delete because deletion is a courtesy and something they're not supposed to actually do. You could how ever send GW letters after it is paid in order to see if they will delete it later.  In no way have they agreed to your PFD, all they did was tell you that they'll tell the CRAs that the debt is paid. Smiley Sad

You could send another letter, or call but I am unsure what you can add to it in order to get your PFD.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Who is the creditor?? Capital One?? If it is Cap-1 they do not do PFD in any form.

Message 3 of 7
bman1029
Established Member

Original Creditor was my old dentist. It's with a collection agency now which is whom I sent the PFD to. All this over 80 bucks I thought my insurance covered.
Message 4 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@bman1029 wrote:

Their first response:

This letter is to confirm we have instructed the three national credit bureaus to reflect this payment activity for acount XXXXX if it is paid in full by February 12th, 2014

I would not interpret this statement as acceptance of a PFD offer.   In my opinion they are only saying they'll tell the CRAs to reflect the fact that you paid the collection.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 7
bman1029
Established Member

I think I'm going to try again with them. I know they generally won't flat out say delete for payment. Any nuggets of wisdom on a maybe a different way to ask?
Message 6 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Good idea to keep trying.    Some CAs will agree to do a PFD;  others won't.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.