Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD Response

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFD Response

I have sent a couple of PFD settlement letters to a couple of CA that are on my CR. I have not gotten any response. I did not send the letters by certified mail which I now know is what I should have done. I was thinking of maybe re-sending them by certified mail this time or even maybe sending them to the OC since they are medical bills. Should I give it more time since it has only been a couple of weeks since I sent the letters or should I try to re-send them?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PFD Response

@Anonymous wrote:

I have sent a couple of PFD settlement letters to a couple of CA that are on my CR. I have not gotten any response. I did not send the letters by certified mail which I now know is what I should have done. I was thinking of maybe re-sending them by certified mail this time or even maybe sending them to the OC since they are medical bills. Should I give it more time since it has only been a couple of weeks since I sent the letters or should I try to re-send them?

I would give them at least 30 days for a response. For medicals you actually have 3 choices and a lot of the CAs are willing to let them drop once paid. You should try them in the order I have typed them.

1. Call the OC ask them to recall the collector in exchange for full payment

2. Send the CA a PFD

3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

The best of luck to you Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no need or benefit to send PFD offers other than to ensure they are received.

They are informal/private contract offers to which the party has no obligation to respond.  Thus, proof of receipt date is not required.

Additionally, a PFD offer is a form of good-will request, and sending certified or CMRRR may leave the imporesssion that the consuemr is documenting in order to later take some action.

I would just re-send via regular mail.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I call the OC to ask for it to be recalled, do I have to get them to put it in writing before I make the payment. How does that work? Would I then have to dispute the entry from the collection agency to have it removed?

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If I call the OC to ask for it to be recalled, do I have to get them to put it in writing before I make the payment. How does that work? Would I then have to dispute the entry from the collection agency to have it removed?

Getting it in writing is the gold standard but a verbal agreement may be all you can get and its just as binding as one in writing. If the OC recalls the debt from the CA it cancels their collection authority and under the CRA manual (as stated by RobertEG) a CA that doesnt have collection authority must remove their TL. Only in cases of a CA or JDB that violates their agreement would other measures be necessary.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.