Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD Success- but CA says I owe on more accounts that appear to be way past SOL

tag
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

PFD Success- but CA says I owe on more accounts that appear to be way past SOL

I sent PFD letters to a CA that was showing they had two accounts of mine on my CR.  I sent them PFD.  I got a letter back and rejoiced when they said, they would agree to my PFD Amount (50% of what I owed) and that they would then report them off my credit report.  Great!   

Well then I kept reading, and they attached a 'bill' with 2 more accounts i supposidly have with them saying i owe money on those. (so a total of 4 accounts)  They are just as old as the other accounts but neither of them appear on ANY of my credit reports.  

SO how do I go about this?  Do I just send my payment back for the PFD's... and make no mention of the other accounts since they aren't appearing on any of my CR's?  

Also looking at the two 'bills' and one show s"date of referral"  as Septmeber 04, 2002.  Holy cow batman- that's almost 10 years ago.  I live in michigan and SOL is 6 years.

Here is what they say:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add-on Bill #1:

Date of referral:  09/04/2002

Date of service:  08/21/2002

Date of last payment:  10/09/2002

Amount referred:  $17.32

Other charges:  $10.00

Account Balance:  $10.00  

(and then they'r payment transaction history makes ZERO sense to me, so not even going to bother and post it)

Add-on Bill #2:

Date of refferal:  05/18/2005

Date of service:  05/04/2005

Date of last payment:  n/a

Amount referred:  $16.63

Principal balance:  $16.63

Accumulated Interest:  $5.00

Other Charges:  $30.00

Account Balance:  $51.63

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the dates they show as the referral dates are way past the SOL for michigan (6 years), and neither of these accounts are or have ever appeared on any of my credit reports.  Shoudl I just ignore them and PFD on the other two? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PFD Success- but CA says I owe on more accounts that appear to be way past SOL

You can ignore and not pay them as they are past the SOL.

However, for such a small amount, you might want to rethink that. They may choose not to delete as it seems PFD was contigent on paying all 4.

Message 2 of 6
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Re: PFD Success- but CA says I owe on more accounts that appear to be way past SOL

I can post the letter- from my impression- they were agreeing to do the PFD on the two accounts and then they "attached' the other two accounts for my review.  So I didn't get that the PFD was good only if all 4 were paid.

Here is the letter with pesonal info taken out.

my name

my address

RE:  payment in full for account(s) #XXXXXXXXX and #XXXXXXXXX

Dear XXX,

Our clients will accept a one time payment of $42.50 to pay this/these account(s) in full at COLLECTION AGENCY.  This payment must be received in our office no later than July XX, 2011.  COLLECTION AGENCY will request complete removal of this/these account(s) from your credit report upon payment of the account.

Please send your payment to:

COLLECTION AGENCY

address

Please include your account number XXXXXXXXX on your check.  I have also included two other unpaid checks for your review.  If you have any questions please feel free to call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX.  

Sincerly, 

Name

GENERAL MANAGER

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd take it. Remember, SOL has ZERO to do with reporting. If they are reporting, I'd feel safe with a PFD response like that and would feel confident they'd delete. Plus even if SOL and CRTP expired, they can call and write and bug you forever. If, God forbid, you have a run in again with these guys, then you won't have to worry about 5 accounts. You'd only have to worry about the new one.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are small amounts. I would send a check for the two you agree on and attach a letter stating you will pay the old ones if they agree in writing not to report. In CA the SOL is 5 years, but I recently had a small collection pop up from 2005 out of the blue. I knew nothing about it ever and have purchased 2 homes and 2 cars in that timeframe without it ever appearing. They can report it until next year so I think this CA buys up debts unlikely to be collected on for super cheap and throws them on reports in hopes they win the lottery every now and again and catch someone (like me) who needs credit for some reason at an inconvenient time. Smiley Mad It is worth it to make them go permanently away. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the balances are so small I would have them approve a PFD (in writing) in advance and then take care of them, because they know you are probably trying to obtain some type of credit.

It may throw a monkey wrench in your plans if they decide to put them on your report at a later date.  Even though they will have to remove them because of the time limit, it could still mess up your plans and take you a while to clear it up.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.