Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD advice for Jefferson Captial Systems

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFD advice for Jefferson Captial Systems

I have been trying to improve my credit score over the last year with some success.  I am now looking at a charge-off account from Jefferson Capital that appears to be an old Verizon bill from 2012 for $1100.  I have had 2 accounts deleted from my report so far and am hoping I can arrange a PFD for Jefferson.  I want to take care of this in the best manner and didn't know if I should call them to negotiate or if email or postal was a better option.  

Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PFD advice for Jefferson Captial Systems

I called Jefferson Captial today and they told me that they do not do any PFDs.  I have read on here before of people having luck a couple years ago but was wondering if anyone has recent interaction with them. 

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I would suggest sending them a PFD letter certified mail with return receipt requested. They won't do a PFD over the phone but I've seen successes via mail. In my case I contacted them for DV and never heard back so I filled a complaint with BBB basically saying they won't validate and I want to settle this and they mailed be back (finally after over 6 months of trying to get an answer from them) and they deleted the account and removed it from the CRAs without payment. YMMV with them but I would suggest reaching out via mail first and going from there. 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I send a DV first or try directly for PFD?  Thanks for the response!

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue with them regarding an old Verizon bill for $281. I sent DV, they didn’t respond, instead the just removed the record from my reports.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always DV first and then offer PFD if they validate. Some people prefer to just try and get it over with by jumping right to the PFD.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say DV first and if they provide it then go for PFD. I always ask for DV first. 

Message 8 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no requirement under the FDCPA that a debt collector send validation, and there is no time period for any reply.

If the DV is timely, it imposes a cease collection bar, which remains in effect until such time as they choose to send validation.

You can choose to first send a DV and wait, but you may be in a long and indefinate state of limbo.

In the interim, if your DV was timely, the debt collector is under a cease collection bar, and thus cannot negotiate any terms of payment other that simply accepting your payment in full.  

Always sending a DV may not be the best practice if you need resolution and wish to pursue payment negiations via either a PFD or settlement offer.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My original Verizion account was from around 2012 but the Jefferson account was just added this past November.  Is it too late to send a DV at this point and would it even do me any good?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.