cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD after SOL is up just to make it gone?

tag
Sxott
Established Member

PFD after SOL is up just to make it gone?

Hello all. My name is Scott and I have a score of 577 and Im working on uping this to buy a home.  I was under the impression that fedral law says there is a SOL of 2 years on cell phone bills. This is over 2 years now. I was wondering what action to take with this? I know SOL has nothing to do with the 7 +180 amount of time this stays on your report. I was wondering on how to go about composing a letter for a PFD (offering them 50%) You would think they would jump on it since they dont even have grounds to come after me for it any longer. I just dont want to say the wrong things. I have not had any contact with them at all. I just want it gone. Thanks guys.

Here is the problem child on my report as listed on transunion:

PINNACLE CREDIT SERVICES   #JK114**
PO BOX 640
HOPKINS, MN 55343-0640
(952) 939-8100
Placed for collection:
10/14/2010
Responsibility:
Individual Account
Account Type:
Open Account
Loan Type:
FACTORING COMPANY ACCOUNT
Balance:
$393
Date Updated:
12/15/2012
Original Amount:
$393
Original Creditor:
VERIZON WIRELESS (Financial)
Past Due:
>$393<
Pay Status:
>In Collection<
Remarks: 
>PLACED FOR COLLECTION<
Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 
05/2015

Experian wont let me Copy and Paste but says account type is "Debt Purchased"

Here it is on Equifax:

PINNACLE CREDIT SERVICES L

PO Box 640
Hopkins, MN-553430640
(952) 939-8100

Account Number:JK1XXXXStatus: 
Account Owner:Individual Account. High Credit:$393  
Type of Account :OpenCredit Limit: 
Term Duration: Terms Frequency: 
Date Opened:10/14/2010  Balance:$393  
Date Reported:12/15/2012 Amount Past Due:$393  
Date of Last Payment: Actual Payment Amount: 
Scheduled Payment Amount: Date of Last Activity:N/A
Date Major Delinquency First Reported:12/2010 Months Reviewed:24
Creditor Classification:Financial Activity Designator:N/A
Charge Off Amount: Deferred Payment Start Date: 
Balloon Payment Amount: Balloon Payment Date: 
Date Closed: Type of Loan:Factoring Company Account (debt buyer) 
Date of First Delinquency:06/2008 
Comments:

Collection account  

Starting Score: 606
Current Score: 607
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PFD after SOL is up just to make it gone?

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

I had seen other posts and comments here and elsewhere also saying the same about a fed. SOL on cell phones. IMO, it's baloney. The law that is referenced is the Telecommunications Act of 1934 (IIRC on the year) and the section of the law that mentions the 2-yr SOL hasn't been revised since the law was written, long before cell phones were invented. I believe it dealt with telecom equipement being used over state lines or something like that whereby the feds would have to work out any disagreement. I disected it in here, but I'd really have to dig. Anyway, the law doesn't apply to cell phones. Conversely, I've seen several posts here and elsewhere for lawsuits using the written portion of the given state's SOL.

IMO, SOL only matters if you cannot afford to pay the full balance owed to avert a soon-to-be judgment when being sued inside SOL. If $$$$ isn't an issue then SOL doesn't matter at all because a judgment could easily be avoided. For example, if someone owed $20k on a repo'd car and they were inside SOL and they couldn't afford to pay all of it, then I'd advise them to avoid sending them letters, calls, disputes, etc. because doing anything will wake them up. A $400 debt to a cell phone company (now CA) is nothing and I'd suggest DVing the CA. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD. You can always offer less.

Message 2 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1 llecs.   I believe those that have brought up the 2 year plan are reading into it what they want.  I don't see it applying to the current situation.  In your case a PFD is the best way to go.  Good luck.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 4
jandj80
Regular Contributor

The SOL in MN is 6 years for all debt. So you can be sued for this (contractual debt) for that time frame. I would offer a pay for deletion, and start at 50% of the balance. Do not pay until they agree to delete future and past reporting from all 3 CRAs. You will most likley have to pay the full balance to get a PFD in this case though. 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.