Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD agreement in writing?

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

PFD agreement in writing?

Has anyone actually received a letter from a CA or OC agreeing to PFD. I see a lot of people saying don't ever pay unless it's in writing, but in my experience I have never had a company put it in writing - it's always something I just have to trust that they will do based on a verbal agreement.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
westo12
Established Contributor

Re: PFD agreement in writing?

I have had a couple CA's put it in writing, but it was about 2 years ago. Nothing since.

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 2 of 7
jmack711
Regular Contributor

I've had Verizon as well as ATT put PFD in writing as recently as this past week with ATT... YES, you can get it in writing. ATT simply emailed me the PFD and I submitted payment over the phone after receiving the email. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Message 3 of 7
kitty9779
Regular Contributor

I'm glad to hear that Verizon has put this in writing before, as I have to go clear up an account with them - and I'm sure hoping they will agree to a PFD. Cross your fingers for me!

Message 4 of 7
jmack711
Regular Contributor

Yes, it was about 2 or 3 years ago but the guy I dealt with was really good about handling the situation. He emailed me a PFD as well as mailed. The account was removed from my report within days. GOOD LUCK!!

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is, or course, always preferable to get any business agreement in writing.

However, I can certainly understand the reluctance of a furnisher to do so.

Deletion based on payment of a debt is contrary to the explicit guidelines in the CRA reporting manual, which is incorporated into their reporting agreements.

The CRAs view such deletions as contrary to the integrity of the credit reporting system.

A furnisher would certainly be prudent in not wanting such actions reduced to writing.

It might also serve as basis for a future consumer to assert discrimination if they have a similar request and are denied deletion.

Message 6 of 7
js0319
Established Contributor

Exactly! Imagine you get something in writing stating their agreement to delete. Then they don't do it, and you submit the documentation to the CRA's. How is that going to make the CA look in the eyes of the CRA's? 

It just seems like sometimes (depending on the amount of the debt) it may be better to settle on a verbal agreement. Kind of like catching more flies with honey than with vinegar. You can always request a GW removal if they don't follow up on their end. Then again, it's totally understandable if you don't want to take your chances on a high dollar debt.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.