cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD didn't work...should I pay or let it ride.

tag
pnkgirl25
Valued Member

PFD didn't work...should I pay or let it ride.

Ex borrowed my car before we got divorced and got a parking ticket at a local community college. The college sent it to a collection agency I contacted the collection agency about 9 months ago to see if Ic ould do a PFD. The person I spoke to didn't seem to understand what i was asking for. I sent a letter...again asking for a PFD. The respoded back with info confirming the ticket was mine (ie license plate number, color, date etc.) no mention of the pay for delete.

the ticket is $60 and nearly 2 years old but it the only thing I have in collection. I ran a credit score report on myfico and my current fico is 634. I'm wondering if

1. I pay the $60 will it raise me score at all?

2. If I pay it will it show up at a new negative since I am now paying it

If it's not going to help my score at all then to be honest I don't even want to pay it (would rather just let it fall off) since I didn't get the darn ticekt to begin with.

Anyone have any feedback.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PFD didn't work...should I pay or let it ride.

@pnkgirl25 wrote:

Ex borrowed my car before we got divorced and got a parking ticket at a local community college. The college sent it to a collection agency I contacted the collection agency about 9 months ago to see if Ic ould do a PFD. The person I spoke to didn't seem to understand what i was asking for. I sent a letter...again asking for a PFD. The respoded back with info confirming the ticket was mine (ie license plate number, color, date etc.) no mention of the pay for delete.

the ticket is $60 and nearly 2 years old but it the only thing I have in collection. I ran a credit score report on myfico and my current fico is 634. I'm wondering if

1. I pay the $60 will it raise me score at all? If the collection is reporting monthly it will stop that and your score will then recover over time.

2. If I pay it will it show up at a new negative since I am now paying it. When you pay it its going to update to paid if you dont get the deletion and that will look like a new collection in the eyes of Fico but as I answered in question 1 if its updating monthly anyway it wont matter to just go ahead and pay it. I would call the college and ask tell them the story you have posted here, ask them to recall the collection and then proceed to pay them directly.

If it's not going to help my score at all then to be honest I don't even want to pay it (would rather just let it fall off) since I didn't get the darn ticekt to begin with.

Anyone have any feedback.

Message 2 of 5
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

I would pay it and then goodwill it. Because every month its updating with a balance and making it seem like the collection is new. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 3 of 5
pnkgirl25
Valued Member

How do I know if it's reporting montlhy?

Message 4 of 5
eric19k
Established Contributor

Look at the date it was reported/updated last.  

I would pay it and then GW. I don't think it will be a big problem

TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.