Did you mean: 

PFD, legal recourse

tag
ak129132
Established Member

PFD, legal recourse

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the multiple posts, but I am a noob. I had posted earlier on:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Time-Line-for-Pay-for-Delete-update-on-Experi...

In brief, I saw a collection agency on my credit report (popped up all of a sudden for a bill from 6 yrs ago), I called them up and immediately paid the amount. I get an email (which I requested) later from the collection manager with a pdf document saying this:

"This letter shall confirm that the above-mentioned account has been paid in full. Payment of $XXX has been received and posted to the account referenced above. We have also requested that it be deleted from the credit bureaus. Note that we can only request that it be deleted and you must follow up with the credit bureaus to ensure its deletion."

After going through the forums, I realized the CAs don't really have to follow through. Do I have any legal recourse on this? And how long should I wait before I see the account on my credit report to update as "Paid".

Thanks again

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: PFD, legal recourse

Yes, they do have to follow through.

How long ago was this paid?

It can take up to 90 days to be removed.  If they don't file a BBB complaint for poor business practices.

Message 2 of 6
ak129132
Established Member

I saw it on my report last week and immediately paid it using my CC in full. I am new to all this. Is there a "legal" number of days I should wait before contacting the BBB?

Thank you,

AK

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you just paid it last week I would give it 90 days. 

Depending on the CRA it can take that long to be removed.

Message 4 of 6
ak129132
Established Member

Thank you so much! I will follow up with them once 90 days passes. In the mean time do they have to update it as paid at least as their obligation to report correctly anything they report?

Thank you

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That can take some time also.  I have seen CAs report as paid then a week later delete the TL.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.