Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD letter for Medical COs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFD letter for Medical COs

I recently checked my credit reports and found two COs posted by a CA for medical charges in 06 and 07. The medical center never sent me bills for either. I've had this problem in the past with not getting bills in a timely manner from them  I had written and asked for an itemized statement for the 2006 charges but never received.  They apparently turned it over to a CA shortly thereafter.  The CA has never contacted me - by phone or mail - 

for either charge.  Since they have violated the FDCA, I am determined that they not receive a penny.  

I sent a DV letter to the CA (and the CRAs) for the first CO from 06 as it posted several months ago.  The CA only sent a copy of the invoice.  I don't dispute the debts are mine; therefore I don't want to waste time with DVs for the 07 debt. The economy has hit my income hard and it will be a hardship to pay the entire amount.  Should I send a PFD letter to the OC?  If they have sold it to the CA (which I think they have), what is my recourse?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PFD letter for Medical COs

Were these originally hospital or doctor bills? How much are they? How much can you offer with a PFD? I don't like the idea of attacking med collections outside of HIPAA. Results can vary greatly. Are you certain the debt wasn't assigned to a CA. Med debt is usually not sold, it's assigned to third-party collectors, unless it's several years old.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PFD letter for Medical COs

Thanks for responding, fused! 

The bills were for lab work (various blood tests) and a bone density test.  I've checked and the lab work costs were over $100 more than what I would have paid elsewhere.  The bone test was only $57.  They couldn't find the results for some time and never billed me, but I have checked my insurance benefit claims, and have deduced that the CO (which I didn't DV) is for that.  There was also a $32 claim for radiology submitted on that day.  I owe $22 for that according to Blue Cross but have never been billed.  I wonder if that will just show up as another CO on my CRs. 

I assumed that the debt had been sold because the balance was showing as O from the provider.  I thought that was how you could tell.  However, on the copy of the lab work invoice received from the CA, it says "BAL  ASSND TO AGENCY: $170.38."  

I haven't determined how much I should offer with a PFD.   I don't know whether to include the $22 or not.  I'd like to put this all to rest asap.  I suppose I could bear the burden and just pay the whole amount.  It just chaps my hide to do so.  They should have billed me in a timely manner - when I had a job!  If I do send a PFD and they reject it, I figured I'd then just pay the entire amount.  Do you foresee a problem in having the COs removed it if I proceed this way? 

Also, any suggestions as to what to do about the CA who violated the FDCPA?  They shouldn't be allowed to get away with this. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.