PFD or FCRA Violation?

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor
jmc912
Valued Member

Re: PFD or FCRA Violation?

Thanks Guinness, I'll give it a shot!

From the sounds of it they wouldn't be able to respond to a PFD anyway so this is probably the best route
Message 12 of 20
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The issue of any FDCPA violation wont, even if resolved in your favor, require deletion of theiir reporting.

It might result in nothing more than a slap on the hand from the FTC.

They may choose, as response to an FTC complaint, to delete as a way to appease the consumer and the FTC, or the FTC may, as a sanction, require them to delete reporting that violated the FDCPA, but violation of their debt collection practices obligation under the FDCPA does not alone render reporting of their collection inaccurate, and thus basis for requiring its deletion under the FCRA. 

The FTC, as a general practice, does not invoke sanctions or take legal action against a debt collector based on individual consumer complaints, so they most likely wont impose any credit reporting deletion requirement.  It is thus, for the most part, a side show.

Message 13 of 20
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@jmc912 wrote:

The CA never sent any letters to my husband.... I'm not sure when they acquired the debt but they never sent any letters or called. We noticed it when we checked his credit so sent a DV. I don't think that they updated anything but they most definitely kept reporting to the CRAs without marking that it had been disputed. 

Have you moved or do you have another address?  If they have documentation they sent you a dunning notice then it becomes a case of your word against theirs.  As you have posted, they haven't updated anything so that wouldn't be considered new.  Besides the dunning notice, if that is an issue, I'm still not seeing a violation anywhere.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 14 of 20
jmc912
Valued Member

No, we have not moved... Have had the same address since before it was acquired by collection agency.... There have been no phone calls and certainly no letters. We noticed this on his report and sent the DV. 

Can't I just send an ITS letter based on the FDCPA violation? 

Shogun, the violation is that they updated the item on my credit report after receiving a DV letter. At the very least they need to mark it as disputed which they failed to do. As Robert said " any credit reporting is a violation of the cease collection bar imposed by a DV until such time as the debt collector has provided the requested debt validation".

Message 15 of 20
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@jmc912 wrote:

The CA never sent any letters to my husband.... I'm not sure when they acquired the debt but they never sent any letters or called. We noticed it when we checked his credit so sent a DV. I don't think that they updated anything but they most definitely kept reporting to the CRAs without marking that it had been disputed. 

That was the part that got me on the updating.  So you say they are updating now.

The lack of a dunning notice is the big on on this one.  That was where the chain of events that should occur first went wrong.  I would start a little easier than jumping the gun with an ITS letter.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 16 of 20
jmc912
Valued Member

Well they aren't technically allowed to communitate with us now since they are to cease collection, correct? So a PFD wouldn't work...  What other options would I have? 

Message 17 of 20
jmc912
Valued Member

By the way, how would I prove that they are still updating with the CRAs? If the date reported keeps updating?

Message 18 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The date reported is what you would use.  Keep all of those reports.

Start with the formal complaint to the FTC, attach copies of the reports and cc the CA.

You can also file a complaint with your state AG.  Some states take this kind of stuff very seriously.

Message 19 of 20
jmc912
Valued Member

Thanks Guinness, I do have all copies of the credit reports from every day since they received the DV letter. 

I just fired off complaints to the FTC, BBB, and AG of Florida (where the CA is)....

Hopefully can get resolved through that, I don't really want to fire off an ITS if it's not necessary. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.