Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD or Keep for History?

tag
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

PFD or Keep for History?

I have an old utility bill collection that is listed under my regular accounts not in the collections

and I was wondering if it would be better to PFD or just pay it and leave it on for the

history since it is the oldest account I have.

Also is there a PFD letter that explains that since they own the account that they can delete it?

Thanks

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PFD or Keep for History?

what is the name of the actual creditor?
Message 2 of 5
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

Just shows as PSNC on my credit report but it is PSNC Energy

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a personal judgment call.

For me, I preferred a clean report, even if FICO was a little lower.  A higher FICO can be meaningless with a lender who cares about CO's, CA's, etc.

But if you are most concerned with all things FICO....if the account is paid and beyond 4 years, then it may be neutral to positive for age and the derog effect to FICO fades over time till it drops.

So, you have to pick your credit strategy.  I went for the best score I could get with the cleanest file, regardless of age potentials.  Others have maintained old derogs such as lates or CO's for the age because they wanted a possible FICO boost and better oldest/AAoA.

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

TXjohn,

It is due to drop off next March. I was thinking about sending them a modified PFD letter since they say they

will not delete and ask if they would change from bad debt/collection to Paid;Closed .

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.