Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD's In Person?

tag
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

PFD's In Person?

Hello, all.

I live in a small community, but travel to a large city for classes (at almost 40 went back to school...SEEMED like a good idea at the time LOL). 3 of the 4 CA's that I plan on dealing with (2 more that will have to wait) are located in that city.

Assuming one is careful and not do something stupid such as signing anything, acknowledging the debt, etc etc, is there any down side to just walking into their office and handing them a PFD letter? Maybe wait around for a response if there is a supervisor handy? Just seems like it would save alot of mail time but thought id see what the pros think. All 3 are past SOL. I doubt they wouldve sued when they could for the amounts anyway (200.00, 42.00, 36.00).

In addition, if they agreed (and gave me a written agreement of course), I could just run down to the nearest convenience store and bring them back a money order. I know that I PERSONALLY would be more likely to agree, if I were in their shoes,  if I knew the deal would be done in an hour, versus the tons of PFD's they probably get in the mail on a weekly basis (and who knows what % of people dont even end up paying after agreement anyway).

Ideas, suggestions?

THANK YOU!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: PFD's In Person?

No, nothing wrong with it at all.  It's not like giving them a DV letter.  A PFD is an agreement between the two parties.

But, as you said, get their signature.

Message 2 of 9
Mondavi
Regular Contributor

I had a medical collection that was six years old for $315. They kept refusing to do a PFD, so I drove all of 5 miles down to their office. Spoke with the manager while I was there and I walked out paying $225 with a letter of removal and a receipt of payment. It was off my reports in a few weeks.

He tried to say by law they can not remove negative information. I told him to show me that law and I would pay him and just leave. He smiled and said " ok well I guess you got me there"

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Message 3 of 9
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

LOL nice one...ill have to remember that line.

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree that, with certain provisos, conducting personal negotiations has the benefit of being able to inject the negotiator's personality into the process, and to cut down on the snail-mail back and forth with offers and counter-offers.

However, if a consumer does not know the basics of the collection process, they may make mistakes, such as admission of the debt or a firm offer to pay a portion, that could possibly reset their SOL.

Additionally, I would advise being prepared should they agree to a PFD but not wish to put it in writing.  Are you going to play hard-ball on that point, or trust an oral promise?

Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

In some states and oral agreement is just as good in court as a written one.

Message 6 of 9
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Spent waaaay too much time in the military to just take someone's word for it lol. Nope print n sign or I walk. They drop off in dec '13 anyway I'm gonna use that angle. "will save me a few months time but not a big deal...so take it or leave it"
Message 7 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I was in for 25 years.   You have to be prepared for them to say no, nothing in writing.  It can and does happen.  I'd say more than not hold up to their end of the bargin.

Message 8 of 9
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Yeah? That's awesome guiness. Had 10 in army, they offered me a medical retirement. I took it and ran before they changed their minds...

Anyway thanks for the info. Yeah think I'll make IRS payment, then back to the 2x/week plasma bed. Doubt they'd report if I was making weekly payments since I'd tell them they report I stop paying and focus on other bills. Uggg I hate giving plasma....big needle in your arm for 20 friggin bucks...the sacrifices we make on this credit rebuilding journey...
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.