Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD's

tag
SunnyDaze77
Regular Contributor

PFD's

I have sent 2 PFD's almost 2 weeks ago, is this normal not to hear anything back? I thought I might recieve SOMETHING regarding yay or nay about PFD from the CA but have yet to hear anything.  Am I just being impatient or should I start sending out more letters?  Your thoughts?  Thanks!

Starting Score: TU 543 EQ 570 (03/21/10)
Building Score: TU 641 EQ 629 EX 620 (11/06/11) Pulled Lender
Current Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EX 665 (04/23/12)
Goal Score: 720 Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PFD's

I'm assuming you DVed these first and received a validation that you agreed with?

Message 2 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Of the 200-250 PFDs I sent (between CapOne, AFNI, Verizon, and Verizon Wireless....persistence is key), I probably only got a response back from 20% of them, at best. And of all my responses, only one was a "yes" and that was for Verizon Wireless.

Here was my MO:

1) I'd send one PFD to the address listed on my CR. Then I'd wait 30-40 days. If a "no" or no response, then I would proceed to #2.

2) I'd send another to the same CR address and I would add other addresses from the CR if any of the 3 differ. I'd wait 20 days for a "no" or no response then I'd go to #3.

3) I'd send PFDs to the same addresses as above and then I'd add other addresses found on their website in places like the "Contact Us" section, the Privacy section, the Terms of Use section. I would also add any address, if a public company, as found in the SEC filing info. I'd wait 30-40 days before doing anything so as to let each letter cycle through. If I didn't get a "yes" by then, then I would go to #4.

4) I'd send PFDs to the same addresses in #1-3, and then I would add the top exec of that company based on their role or responsibility within that company. I'd usually limit it to 2-3 folks. I'd wait 30-40 days and if no "yes" by then, then I'd go to #5.

5) I'd send PFDs again to all of the above in #1-4 and then I would add a PFD to planetfeedback.com. I'd wait 30-40 days no matter what and if there isn't a "yes" by then, then I'd go to step #6.

6) I'd send PFDs again to all of the above in #1-5, and then I would add e-mails and any other addresses that haven't been used before. I used to troll these forums looking for new addresses and would use those. I'd wait 30-40 days and then I would be persistent from there on out until I got a "yes".

As you can see, this process takes months, but I had time. BTW, my only yes was a CO by Verizon Wireless. I got all the way to #5 when they finally accepted a PFD via PFB. In my hayday, I was sending them 12-15 PFDs per month. The "No's" didn't matter. All I needed was one "yes". It just took me a while to find the right person.

Aside from PFDs, if an OC, don't be afraid to call. I gathered soooooo much info about Verizon Wireless during that time. I knew how they'd report. I knew why they told me "No" all that time. I knew what would happen if the sold the debt. I knew when they'd sell it. I even knew how they sold it and who they'd likely sell it to. I was always one step ahead and knew the CSRs on a personal basis.

If your PFDs aren't working consider also offering more. I always offered 100% because I knew the debt was mine and I knew that I had the best odds for a PFD acceptance with an offering of 100%. I also edited my PFDs. I knocked out the timed requirement and cut back on the legal jargon. I also killed off the term "dispute" as some were seeing that as a dispute. I also sent mine with a stamp vs. CMRRR.

ETA...forgot to add, but some of them responded on a letterhead that had a different address. I always added that address to my list as I went along. Also some included names and e-mails and I used those to my advantage too. I never threw away any response.

Message 3 of 17
mauve
Valued Contributor

I've seen recommendations here of sending every 2 -4 weeks.  I have not yet had a successful PFD, but I have had success with deletion based on a DV so far.  You'll probably have at least some answers in the next week or so - my responses so far have simply been an accounting of the amount owed.   

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 17
SunnyDaze77
Regular Contributor

Hello all!  Thanks for responding...

OnTheMends-I thought you can only DV after 30 ddays.  This acct is 8-9 mths old...  If not so, is it too late to DV if I already sent a PFD?

llecs-WOW!  You have put alot of work into it!  I will try to follow your steps.  Thanks for all of the info!!!

Mauve-I will keep trying and try not to lose hope.

Thanks again everyone! =)

Starting Score: TU 543 EQ 570 (03/21/10)
Building Score: TU 641 EQ 629 EX 620 (11/06/11) Pulled Lender
Current Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EX 665 (04/23/12)
Goal Score: 720 Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started my credit repair back in December.  I sent out PFD's to no avail.  I have read over and over DO NOT call the CA.  However, I have never seen an explanation as why not to call.  I instead choose a different route.  I called them.  One by one.  I had 11 CA's on my credit reports.  I now have 4 left.  Out of those 7 I paid.  6 agreed to delete.  One wouldn't, I paid anyways and it dropped my experian score, but the offer was good so I took it.  In time that won't make much of difference as I am not buying a home or anything like that in the near future.  I am setting myself up to have okay credit in a year and good credit in two years.  The last 4 are pretty near impossible and I am not paying them.  They drop off in 2012 anyways.  

I have actually found calling the CA's worked well for me.  I had some bad ones and some good ones.  Most accepted a settlement and still deleted.  That is the magic of calling the day before the last day of the month.  Smiley Wink  90% of the people I have talked to at the different CA's have been friendly, sent me documentation right away specifying our agreement and followed through with what they said they would do.  I killed them with kindness too.  Its not hard to strike up a conversation with them and then they will generally work with you.  I think they are yelled at for the majority of their day so when they get a nice one, they are nice back and help you out.

I know everyone says mail only.   I personally found talking to them was a more direct route with a positive outcome.

Message 6 of 17
mauve
Valued Contributor

The reason given for not calling is that the CA is pre-conditioned to trick you into saying something that will put you at a disadvantage, they'll more than likely tell you what you want to hear and not follow through, etc.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can understand as they can be mean and forceful.  Even the mean ones followed through with what they told me.  I never received one response to any PFD I sent in the mail.  So I called them up and poof deleted.  LOL.  I was nice, had payment ready, and got them to agree to delete and thanked them sincerely.  I was never tricked.  I don't know how many people have been tricked.  I am sure it has happened some where, but I have not seen a post like that either yet.  

Message 8 of 17
sambest1979
Established Member

Millie I think I am going to take your advise what's the harm in calling???? I am overseas and snail mails slows to slug mail......I'll let yoou know how it goes...pray for me:{

Message 9 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@sambest1979 wrote:

Millie I think I am going to take your advise what's the harm in calling???? I am overseas and snail mails slows to slug mail......I'll let yoou know how it goes...pray for me:{

There's a couple of things to consider when calling a CA:

1) The phone call is likely being taped, depending on the state. Their #1 goal is to get you to admit to the debt. If you do and it's being taped, then they can possibly use that against you in the future and in some states, that alone can reset SOL.

2) Their word isn't their bond. If you search in these forums for the word "promised", you'll see over 2000 posts, with quite a few of those posts having to do with a CA promising this or that. I've read countless stories in the past couple of years of a CA saying, "Yes, if you pay us today, we'll delete" only to reneg and not delete. Moreover as a followup to many of those cases, the CA denied ever having said what they said. A paid collection on your CR is no better than an unpaid collection per your FICO.

3) Finally, many CAs take the tactic of browbeating you. If they tell you "No, we won't delete if you pay us", then you are now setup for additional collection activity, increasingly hostile calls (if you talk to them), and a renewed risk of being sued if they are the type to sue.

4) Oh...one other. There had been (haven't seen any in the past few months though) cases where the CA took the payment and either entered more check payments or CC payments, or the collector used the CC info for personal gain. It doesn't happen that often but it does happen. MSNBC (Dateline) and PBS recently did some segments on this.

IMO, always keep everything in writing. If distance is an issue, then revert to e-mail whenever possible. If you do talk to them (and I would never recommend it), then get everything in writing from them first before mailing off certified funds.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.