cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD still showing on credit - is there anything I can do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFD still showing on credit - is there anything I can do?

I know in ideal circumstances, I should get a PFD agreement in writing before paying. That wasn't an option with this CA and I'm now wondering if I was lied to.

I paid an old Medical bill on PFD, I specifically asked for it to be deleated and was told in clear terms that it would be, but they didn't have a way to email me anything, they offered to fax, and I don't have a fax to receive things at - they offered to snail mail and I didn't want to wait.....

It has been a week now. The CA told me they reported it to be removed already 4 days ago and that it could take the credit bureau 4-6 weeks to update. I called the Experian (only bureau they report to) and Experian said if they submitted a request to deleate or stopped reporting 4 days ago it would be off my credit already and they lied to me. That Experian immediately removes things or makes changes right away when reported and offered to let me file a dispute. 

This is the 4th PFD I've done this way and not had any issues before and all the prior ones have dropped off my credit within 2 days.

When I talked to the CA today I asked them to snail mail me paperwork for the credit bureau update - actually they offered. 

Should I wait and just being impatient? Or do you think I should be concerned?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PFD still showing on credit - is there anything I can do?

Same boat. But yes Experian is indeed the one that has updated in max 48 hours for me. Just wait for the letter and submit the dispute. Has it been updated to PAID?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing has been updated - I'm not sure what to say in a dispute once I get the letter if it's not deleted. 

I'm under the impression that the CRA can refuse to delete a PFD if they think the reason violates their rules, but not sure if that is correct. And if it is correct, not sure how to word the dispute to prevent that from happening.

It's an old medical bill, from a car accident that should have been paid by insurance, but wasn't. All the others were removed when I paid.

If I have to dispute it, any suggestions on what I should say?

Message 3 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I know in ideal circumstances, I should get a PFD agreement in writing before paying. That wasn't an option with this CA and I'm now wondering if I was lied to.

I paid an old Medical bill on PFD, I specifically asked for it to be deleated and was told in clear terms that it would be, but they didn't have a way to email me anything, they offered to fax, and I don't have a fax to receive things at - they offered to snail mail and I didn't want to wait.....

It has been a week now. The CA told me they reported it to be removed already 4 days ago and that it could take the credit bureau 4-6 weeks to update. I called the Experian (only bureau they report to) and Experian said if they submitted a request to deleate or stopped reporting 4 days ago it would be off my credit already and they lied to me. That Experian immediately removes things or makes changes right away when reported and offered to let me file a dispute. 

This is the 4th PFD I've done this way and not had any issues before and all the prior ones have dropped off my credit within 2 days.

When I talked to the CA today I asked them to snail mail me paperwork for the credit bureau update - actually they offered. 

Should I wait and just being impatient? Or do you think I should be concerned?

EX is known for moving quickly, but I would give it the full 30-45 days on this issue.   If it's still on EX after that point, contact the CA again.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also give them a few more days. Since you have the letter (that is currently on its way) you can always dispute it. But since Experian has not updated at all I would think such info is still on its way for removal. Let us know how it goes. I had one that was already removed from TU and EX and its EQUI who I'm about to go nuts on.

Great luck. If it is not updated let us know we may be able to give you ideas on the dispute but patience is the first step Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Will do.

Whilst waiting for this, Equifax updated today and Verizon extended the life of an old collections account that was due to fall off in january, by 11 months!!

I disputed this account with Ex and TU as it should have fallen off last month. TU has it set to fall off in January still and Ex has it set to fall off in August.

The account was originally reported as Verizon North as a charge off in 2/2008. It changed to Verizon Wireless sometime in 12/08 or 2009. TU kept it accurate with the name change and acct number change, with the disputes I filed with TU and EX, Verizon took it upon themselves to update EQ that I disputed the item and changed the DoFD to 12/08, extended it's shelf life, and dropped my score by 5 points :/

Not sure what to do. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Verizon today getting transferred arround, their collections dept said there is no such thing as Verizon North (there was in 2008 in 10 states), their fraud dept verified it was the same account, but the 2 depts don't talk, and when I got sent back to the collections dept the fraud person didn't stay on the phone and collections said they can only change it if the credit report from 8/08 I have showing it has the same account number as it does now - since the acct number changed with the company name change/transfer they don't match.....

Short of filing a complaint with the FTC - not sure what to do.

Message 6 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks! Will do.

Whilst waiting for this, Equifax updated today and Verizon extended the life of an old collections account that was due to fall off in january, by 11 months!!

I disputed this account with Ex and TU as it should have fallen off last month. TU has it set to fall off in January still and Ex has it set to fall off in August.

The account was originally reported as Verizon North as a charge off in 2/2008. It changed to Verizon Wireless sometime in 12/08 or 2009. TU kept it accurate with the name change and acct number change, with the disputes I filed with TU and EX, Verizon took it upon themselves to update EQ that I disputed the item and changed the DoFD to 12/08, extended it's shelf life, and dropped my score by 5 points :/

Not sure what to do. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Verizon today getting transferred arround, their collections dept said there is no such thing as Verizon North (there was in 2008 in 10 states), their fraud dept verified it was the same account, but the 2 depts don't talk, and when I got sent back to the collections dept the fraud person didn't stay on the phone and collections said they can only change it if the credit report from 8/08 I have showing it has the same account number as it does now - since the acct number changed with the company name change/transfer they don't match.....

Short of filing a complaint with the FTC - not sure what to do.

If disputes with Verizon and with the CRAs didn't resolve the errant reporting, you could certainly file a complaint wiht the CFPB.   Complaints to the FTC may not help your specific case, but could help launch a more broad investigation into Verizon.   If you're considering doing that, you could also contact your state AG.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I'll look into it

The account that I'd originally posted about - waiting to update - just updated today as in dispute. I didn't dispute it with the credit bureaus, is this likely part of their process to remove it? It doesn't show as paid still - just customer disputes, being investigated.....has anyone had this happen before?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone had a PFD update to disputed by customer?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.