Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD when CA is not even on report?

tag
Veloter
Established Member

PFD when CA is not even on report?

I am wanting to settle a private student loan with Plaza Associates.  The OC is AES, but Plaza is collecting for them.  If I do a PFD, does the CA have the authority to delete the entry for AES?    It's showing as a paid claim by the government, with a -0- balance.   I want to settle, but I want it gone too.  Is this possible?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: PFD when CA is not even on report?

No, they do not.  A debt collector cannot modify the reporting done by a creditor, and cannot compel the creditor to change their reporting.

If a debt collector has not yet reported, you can offer them a modified type of PFD, asking them to accept payment in exchange for NOT reporting.

So you avoid further damage.

The reporting of a $0 debt by an OC does not equate to paid.  It means they no longer own the debt.  The debt still exists until paid, and the new owner can report it.

I suspect that the OC may no longer own the debt, eliminating any PFD offer to them.  That would apparently leave a modified pay-for-not reporting option with the debt collector.  Deletion of the OC reporting would then be pursued by GW requests to them.

Message 2 of 4
Veloter
Established Member

That's kind of what I thought....that being said, do you think it will be more difficult to obtain a settlement if it's still in SOL?   Or does the CA just want money regardless?

Message 3 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Veloter wrote:

That's kind of what I thought....that being said, do you think it will be more difficult to obtain a settlement if it's still in SOL?   Or does the CA just want money regardless?

You certainly have less leverage if the debt is still within SOL but many times CAs will still negotiate and cut a deal because they want to get paid.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.