Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD...worked?

tag
Doomed

PFD...worked?

Hi, all.

I had a collection on just one CR--Equifax--and have a report I pulled on 04.21.13 that shows it.  So, a few weeks ago I sent a PFD letter to the CA and yesterday received a letter from them stating that they accept my negotiated offer as full payment, but that it's "illegal" for them to delete the collection and they, therefore, will not do it.  I figured the PFD letter failed...and planned on sending more.

Then, this morning I pulled my CR with Equifax again...and the collection is gone!  Is it safe to assume that the CA removed the collection?  Has anyone experienced this before?  Or is this perhaps an error on Equifax's side?

Thanks in advance,

-Doomed

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Re: PFD...worked?

I recently negotiated a PFD for less with RJM. They deleted the account before replying to my letter. Since they were kind enough to delete, I kept up my end of the bargain.

In your case, it sounds like a successful PFD to me. Smiley Happy

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 2 of 7
Doomed

RF2001,

I absolutely intend to keep my end of the bargain.  But I do worry that if this is some kind of error, the CA's will report the payment to the CRAs as Paid in Full, putting the collection back on my CR.  Maybe I just worry too much.  Smiley Tongue

Thanks,

-Doomed

Message 3 of 7
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Although the CA can still report it, once they receive the payment, they probably won't bother. Smiley Happy

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 4 of 7
goosedog
Regular Contributor

That's why i dont trust collection companies..they could re-report it as pain in full or account settled just to screw with you. I am just going to let my remaining baddies fall off in 2 years.

Message 5 of 7
Doomed

So, I called the CA to pay this debt and was told they did not remove it from my CR.  They stated that the CRAs sometimes will remove an item from the report while it's being disputed (I never disputed the debt, just offered a PFD settlement).  They also stated that once I pay the debt, they'll update with the CRAs that the item has been Paid in Full...meaning, presumably, it'll reappear on my CR.  Ugh!

Is it true that items are temporarily removed from a person's CR while they're being disputed?

Anyone have thoughts on how to proceed?  I did not pay the CA when I heard the agent's response--told them I need to rethink this as they only accepted the part of the settlement offer that was best for them.

-Doomed

Message 6 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Keep in mind just cause a CA lists a collection account on your credit reports doesn't mean they own it or have collection authority on it. If in doubt always send a DV letter Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.