cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIF CA: Has Permissible Purpose terminated?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PIF CA: Has Permissible Purpose terminated?

I PIF a CA in December, 2012 - $0 balance yet they have been SP'ing my CR once per week for the past month 1/2 or so.  Does their permissible purpose terminate after the debt has been satisfied?  I have disputed their reporting as inaccurate for various reasons so would this allow them to SP?  I have no other outstanding debts other than what is already reporting on my CRs so I know it is not for another debt popping up.  This past week they SP'd twice and once per week for the prior 6 weeks.  Each of my open accounts are in good standing and the several COs listed on my CRs are either PIF or I am in the process of (two) PFDing.

Should I send a DV or another request for these SPs or ... ?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: PIF CA: Has Permissible Purpose terminated?

I would send them a DV letter to make sure they have no other debt.

As for PP, if they are not collecting, they have no PP.  If it is paid and closed there is no reason for a PP at all,

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

I would send them a DV letter to make sure they have no other debt.

As for PP, if they are not collecting, they have no PP.  If it is paid and closed there is no reason for a PP at all,

Thanks guiness ... I'll be popping a DV in the postbox first thing Monday morning for the cheery folks at PRA to read Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 6
chevyman
Contributor

Gotta love PRA
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. lol. Grrrrrrrr
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A DV would be untimely unless they never sent dunning notice.  It may simply go into their circular file.

A good idea to send one, but most likely wont accomplish anything.

You are correct in that payment of the debt terminated their collection, provided payment was accepted as satisfaction of the debt.

They no longer have the normal permissible purpose under FCRA 604(a)(3)(A) for "collection of an account" of the consumer.

I would send the CRA a dispute over the accuracy of their statement of permissible purpose provided to the CRA, which almost certainly was section 604(a)(3)(A).

As an aside, you can't use the direct dispute process for matters related to credit inquiries, so you are forced to pursue via the CRA.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.