Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP! Weird call from Central Assets Bureau

tag
ladydeac
New Contributor

PLEASE HELP! Weird call from Central Assets Bureau

Hi guys!  I have worked to bring my credit back to decency and have had a successful journey, but just received a call that really has me reeling.

Today someone from Central Asset Bureau called, claiming they were representing a company called Republic Finance.  They claimed that in 2007 I took out a loan with this company and closed the account without paying them back.  They also have a claim of trying to defraud them and a list of others.  The total amount was $1100, but they claimed that in 2007 they tried to settle with me for $784.

Here's the issue - I HAVE NO CLUE what this is or what they're talking about.  When I kept asking this representative to provide me with information so that I can know what the heck she's talking about, she became very rude.  She claimed that she would just have to re-route the paperwork to my last known place of employment or my new address, which I did not give out to her.  I calmly tried to ask her for more information, and she kept being rude and overtalking me.

The strangest thing – she was able to give me the first 5 of my social, and she did have my old address (I bought a new home and moved in November), but for the life of me, I do not recall ever doing business with any bank called Republic Finance, much less defaulting on a loan!

I asked her to provide me with the information so I can contact the company.  She told me she couldn’t because I could use it to hold against them in court (no clue what that means).  She then asked if I wanted to just settle today and I said absolutely not.  So she immediately got snippy and said that she was submitting as a refusal and that the paperwork/subpoena will be re-routed to my last know place of employment and home, and that I can dispute in front of a judge.  I told her that all I was doing was wanting some type of account number or verification – and her response was ‘good luck in court’ and she hung up.

I am fuming, but nervous.  Has someone gotten ahold of my information and taken out a loan that I didn’t know about?  That seems impossible because in all honesty, in 2007 my credit shouldn’t have allowed a loan to be taken out.  Secondly, is a false judgement going to be placed on my credit file after all of my hard work??

Can anyone suggest my next steps?  I truly don’t think this is mine and have never encountered an agency that was legit that was so rude and unhelpful.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: PLEASE HELP! Weird call from Central Assets Bureau

I googled Central Assets Bureau and came up with a bunch of stuff indicating scam. Try it and take a look but a couple sound exactly like what they did to you.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 2 of 4
ladydeac
New Contributor

Yes and thank you!  I've been googling them too and it does definitley appear to be a scam.  A few complaints could have been me writing them they were so similar.  I'm just concerned that they had the first 5 of my social.

I told them that they would have to just have to return back to their 'client' and let them know that I was refusing to accept responsibility, and that we would prove it in court.

Message 3 of 4
FrugalRican
Blogger

I wouldn't be too concerned about them having your social security number. Or anyone for that matter. If you think about it, more people/companies have it than you really would think so.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.