cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE READ!!! STEELE MORGAN & ASSO. QUESTION'S?

tag
Jess421
Contributor

PLEASE READ!!! STEELE MORGAN & ASSO. QUESTION'S?

I need advice please!!! So Monday at around 4:00 pm I get a call on my work line asking for me.  A gentleman tells me that I am going to be served papers because I am being sued! For what I asked and he said that he was not at liberty to say.  He said that unless I call this number 855-217-7343 and work out a deal with them then someone will be bringing me papers.  He gave me a case number 11pa92044da to reference.  So I obviously called the number and got transfered a million times until I came across a lady who said her name was STephanie McNabb and that she was the paralegal and that they were collecting on an old charge off HSBC (which is legit) so I said okay.  She said that they will be taking me to court for the amont unless I pay them what they want.  I asked for the amount and she said $1900!!!! Now, mind you that I know the charge off amount from HSBC 2 yrs ago was $550.  I said how in the hay did you come up with those charges and she explained that she does not have to disclose that to me!  I tried to ask questions and she keep putting me on hold and rushing me.  I tried to ask her to send me documentation and she said that they had sent information to me at an OLD address in January.  I said that is not my address anymore can you resend teh information and she said NO!  She kept tyring to get me to pay over the phone so finally I hung up because I was freaked out.  They called me from restricted about 15 times that night.  So I did my research and called HSBC and they provided me with the collection agency sold to.  I called them and they advised that they had just sold the account in March to another company.  When the lady called me back the next day I asked her how they sent  me a letter in January when they didnt not even own the deb tthen?? She immediatly got rude and advised that she didnt have to provide that information and that I was in breach of contract and had to pay or else.  I hung up because she was being so nasty and called my county sheriffs office and told them that I was being served papers and did they have the information on it.  She asked my name and kind of laughed?  She said that there is nothing in the system for me and that if it comes from CA it goes right to her.   She advised I was the 2nd person today to call and ask the same informtion !!!  What do I do???!! Im freaked out!

Starting Score: CK 519 FICO 498
Current Score: 2/26/13 FICO 590 TU FAKO 639
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
txmomma26
Regular Contributor

Re: PLEASE READ!!! STEELE MORGAN & ASSO. QUESTION'S?

First things first, don't let this nasty woman get you flustered or upset - she's trying to bully you into payment quite illegally.  They cannot threaten legal action and not follow through - which you've confirmed is currently the case since the sheriff's office has no record of you on their list to be served. 

Second, the next time they call, inform them that they are not to contact you at work (cease and desist further communications at your work phone).  Follow this up in writing, when  you send the DV.  The DV should be sent certified mail, return reciept requested - there are sample letters at the top of the board.

I'm going to assume that this account is within the SOL for legal action since it's only 2 years old.  On your credit report, does HSBC still show a balance? Or are they reporting a $0 balance? If they still show a balance, then they still own the debt and you might be able to work out a deal with them.  If they just show a CO with no balance, you'll have to deal with the active CA.

The one thing that MAY be in your favor is that this new CA has not yet reported to the CRAs, so if you can settle the account before they report, maybe they won't report at all.  You can also GW the old CA to remove from your report since they no longer have the authority to collect on the debt.

Good luck!!!

Start: (2-26): EQ 602 (Myfico) TU 579 (Credit Karma) EX 634 FAKO
Current: (7-12): EQ 690(myfico) WalmartTU 696 EX 689 (lender 6-3)
1st Goal: 680 across the board - DONE June 2013!
2nd Goal: 725 across the board
Message 2 of 14
Jess421
Contributor

I am soo confused.  the Debt was sold to Diverse funding from HSBC which sold to Debt management at the end of march in teh amount of 606.  I called debt management and they sold to Black Creek Asset management and would not confirm an amount.  I called the number they provided 909-212-5583 which goes nowhere! I left a voicemail with no return call.  It looks like that this CA may be one in the same with the following : BLACKSTONE, BERTRAND MANAGMENT, EDISON PARK AND ASSOCIATES, JASON ELSEN INC. AND STEELE MORGAN & ASSOCIATES.    I filed a compaint with FTC explaining what happened.  Even if they did take me to court they did not follow proper procedure which I read in turn the case would be thrown out.  I also found out that they just pulled my info from Experian on April 17th! which I printed out and they lied and said that I never updated my address so that is why the letters were never received.  they made sure to tell me an old address. 

Message 3 of 14
txmomma26
Regular Contributor

If Black Creek is the current owner of the account, send them a DV immediately via CMRRR. Use the address on your credit report for their mailing address (if it shows their address). The phone number below is registered to a landline in Ontario, California - if that helps find an address on them.  I'd also send the DV to Steele Morgan and see what you get in return.

Start: (2-26): EQ 602 (Myfico) TU 579 (Credit Karma) EX 634 FAKO
Current: (7-12): EQ 690(myfico) WalmartTU 696 EX 689 (lender 6-3)
1st Goal: 680 across the board - DONE June 2013!
2nd Goal: 725 across the board
Message 4 of 14
Jess421
Contributor

I googled Black Creek and cant find anything on them.  They are not reporting to any agencies as of right now.  But I am going to send a DV to Steele.  The lady Stephanie had faxed me an agreement to pay in the amount of 100 per month which I had also asked for a break down of charges which wasnt sent.  I immediatly faxed back the DV letter with no response or phone calls back. 

Message 5 of 14
electra
Established Contributor

Do not fax a DV...there is no proof of delivery.  Send another via mail, CMRR.

@Jess421 wrote:

I googled Black Creek and cant find anything on them.  They are not reporting to any agencies as of right now.  But I am going to send a DV to Steele.  The lady Stephanie had faxed me an agreement to pay in the amount of 100 per month which I had also asked for a break down of charges which wasnt sent.  I immediatly faxed back the DV letter with no response or phone calls back. 

Message 6 of 14
DaBears
Senior Contributor

OP, please omit personal names from your post. Violation of myFico TOS. Thank you. 

Your friendly Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 7 of 14
Jess421
Contributor

Sorry about the specific name.  I only named it because online it said it was fake.

Message 8 of 14
Duggan
New Visitor

I am having the exact, EXACT same thing happen to me right now. Not sure what to do.  Did you get this resolved?

Message 9 of 14
Jess421
Contributor

I ended up sending them a very thourough DV letter and they never responded.  I sent everything I had on them and sent it to the credit bureuas and after much investigation they removed them.  they are not a lawyers office they are a bottom feeding collection agency.  I would of paid them if I didnt think they would just resell the old Charge off to another agency.  Plus they wanted triple what I originally owed.  They almost got me to give them my card number over hte phone.  DO NOT DO THIS.  I even contacted the sheriffs office and they said that I was the 3rd person to call and complain about hte same thing.  They break all kinds of rules to try to get you to pay and I probably could of taken them to claims court. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.