cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLease advice needed...LVNV

tag
MustImprove

PLease advice needed...LVNV

Need a bit of advice on how best to proceed. Thanks to following the advice included in many threads I've managed to bring my scores from the low 592 to 672 in relatively short time. But I'm left with 2 derogs on my CR. I've had success in phone calls to CA's just going the PFD way trying to avoid delays because I want to be able to app for a mtg in the next 3-4 months. The call to LVNV was a different case as I see they've been an issue for many. I also have one other med company derog that I believe is valid but I never receive any notice  and after my LVNV call I've been more paranoid about how to proceed with even them. I've never sent out a DV but see not that's probably where I need to start. Is it possible that DV'ing is the wrong way to go like it can restart the dates on the reporting or some other neg side effect? Any other advice on how to proceed or what needs to be included in a DV?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Re: PLease advice needed...LVNV

Forst off...CONGRATS on your excellent score!
I realize you do not want any delays so you can apply for a mortgage in 3-4 months.
You have a couple of options ... If you want it expedited...I suggest, as you stated, send a DV letter. It will actually be a PFD letter which disputes the validity of the debt, at this point you will also have the option to offer a percentage of the account, this option kind of takes care of everything in one letter.
Or...you can send a DV letter first, once you have confirmation that it is indeed your account send a PFD letter offering a lesser or equal amount.
Regardless, make sure everything is in writing and while in contact with them do not acknowledge the account only because it may not be yours.

You will find an example PFD letter above (type in PFD example letters and DV example letters)
After reading through these you will have a clearer understanding. Additionally, you can edit it according to your particular situation.
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 2 of 6
MustImprove

Ok so I'll look through those potential letters and make the changes where necessary and get them sent out. But do they get sent out to only the LVNV and the other company on my cr file?,  or does  copies also needed to be sent to al of the Credit Buerues so they know I'm seek the debt validation on these issues?

Message 3 of 6
MustImprove

Sorry but I have  a couple more question if anyone can help. I was planning on sending out the 2 DV letters tomorrow but after more thread reading I am left wondering if it will just be a wasted effort. Unless I'm mistaken the DV would be considered untimely and they would not have to respond I which case it would be a waste of time. Is this correct? I never received any notice prior to finding it on my reports but once discovered I did try initially to call and offer settlement but never acknowledged the debt.  I've noticed people having success with LVNV through the BBB should I instead go that route? Sorry for the continued questions but I'm really trying to avoid a failed lengthy attempt. Again sorry for all the questions but I can't afford many missteps.

Message 4 of 6
Lasardo
Established Contributor

This may help:

The next important step is finding out who owns the debt, the OC or the CA?

If both the OC and CA are reporting, does the OC show a balance? When an OC sells an account, they have to report a $0 balance. If they still own the account, both the OC and the CA can report a balance.

If the OC still owns the account, I would call them first and ask if they could pull the account back from collections and allow you to PIF. If they agree then you need to pay them in full and then send the CA a DV.

If the OC doesn’t own the account, then the OC isn’t going to be able to do anything for you. You have to deal with the CA.

Send a DV letter CMRRR to the CA. (DV's are never sent to the OC). See this link. You then have to play the waiting game. A CA is under no time limit to answer a DV but all collection activity must stop until they do respond. If you happen to live in Texas you can file a "Notice of Inaccuracy" that compels a CA to respond within 30 days. Here is a link to the Texas Finance Code that covers debt collection.

If they validate properly and you agree with what they sent, then you would want to send a PFD letter. An example can be found here. It doesn’t need to be sent CMRRR. If you get no response or a negative response from your PFD letter, I would search the internet for the names of vice presidents, presidents, managers, etc and address the letter to them. Also look for email addresses and send via email. Google and the BBB are great places to look.

Additionally,
You had asked of you send a copy to the CB's....,
That is entirely your choice if you want to dispute/Validate with the OC/ CA or if you want to validate with the credit bureau's.
I can tell you things will be quite expedited if you deal with the OC rather than the bureaus.

Hope this answers some questions a bit.
You can find a treasure of information under "Rebuilding Your Credit" at the top of the forums page.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Good luck!
🙈🙉🙊
Message 5 of 6
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Honestly,., and you may not like this answer, I would send DV's to everyone.
You can hand write the letter (As suggested) and leave it blank where you list the address and make several copies.
Send them into the creditor, the BBB Etc.
If your pretty sure they are your debts you may want to send a PFD letter, the example letter listed on this site starts with:
This is to inform you the validity of this debt is disputed... (The creditor has to send a validation at this point) it continues with a settlement offer and request to remove.
I like this letter only because you can take care of things all on one letter.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.