Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNC Visa Secured

tag
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

PNC Visa Secured

I have a PNC Visa secured card which I opened 6 months ago.  I put $400 toward it to secure the card.  I have never been late on a payment.  My questions are as follows: can I call PNC and have the card switched to unsecured?  Also if they agree to switch it to unsecured, can I have my $400 put towards my balance which is on the card?  any help is much appreciated. THANKS

Starting Score April 2013: 556
Current Score March 2014: 682
Goal Score Soon (-: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Re: PNC Visa Secured

Just realized I should have put this in the rebuild forum.  Sorry :-/

Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

No, Id keep it here... it's credit card.

I believe you usually would need 12 months or more depending on Bank... Bank of America is known to be as early as 9.

Has your credit greatly improved all around?

Have you received any other unsecured credit now?

Message 3 of 8
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

My credit was awful because of student loans.  Started in April with a 556, opened up the PNC (400) and Cap. One Visa (200) secured cards.  Fully rehabbed my loans now waiting for my CR to reflect it.  In the meantime my credit is up to 597, which is not good but it is a vast improvement considering my loan rehab hasn't been reflected yet.  I have one more Chase debt and one other CC debt and I will be out of the woods and in the garden....

Message 4 of 8
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

PS my Fed. Loans are 22 negative tradelines on my report!  What kind of bump do you think I will get? I should note I have made 21 straight payments on my private loans so I assume that is helping my credit...

Message 5 of 8
shane1120
Contributor

No, they do not graduate secured cards - you must apply for a new CC. I know this because I too have a PNC secured card; have had it for about 2 years. I applied for the PNC travel rewards card about a month ago and was declined with a 660 FICO score. They said I had to many new accounts and to many inquires (6) within 6 months.But YMMV.

Message 6 of 8
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Hm What a shame.  What do you think a could credit score would be to apply for a PNC Visa unsecured?  I will wait until after my loans are reporting as in good standing and see where I "stand"

Message 7 of 8
shane1120
Contributor

@tfkallday wrote:

Hm What a shame.  What do you think a could credit score would be to apply for a PNC Visa unsecured?  I will wait until after my loans are reporting as in good standing and see where I "stand"

idk.As most would say on here your score is not everything. Also depends on other facts like AAoA, baddies, INQS, stuff like that. IM pretty sure my FICO score was less of a concern because I called the recon line for PNC and the CSR said that I need to age my new accounts at least 6 months and then try again.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.