Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POLL: Midland Offer

tag
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

POLL: Midland Offer

Have a CA acct from midland, OC tmobile. They offered PIF at 60% of original debt. Past sol. The acct drops off CRs 9/13, 11/13, 12/13. I have no major purchases planned this year, possibly some cc apps.

I counteroffered 45%, they declined.

What ya think, guys? Take it or wait it out? Just looking for a few opinions. Thanks!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: POLL: Midland Offer

Psst SOL, and nearing CRTP, they should've taken anything offered. Personally, I'd tell them to pound sand, and FOAD them, but that's me. They'll still attempt collections, as the debt never truly goes away, and will be seen on any PP, for any $150k+ loan.
Message 2 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:
Psst SOL, and nearing CRTP, they should've taken anything offered. Personally, I'd tell them to pound sand, and FOAD them, but that's me. They'll still attempt collections, as the debt never truly goes away, and will be seen on any PP, for any $150k+ loan.

That's only if the creditor/lender ask for the entire history.  If it is just a CR it won't be there.

Message 3 of 16
Leadberry
Established Contributor

If the debt is yours I would just pay it to tie up loose ends.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 4 of 16
Kartel34
Regular Contributor

offer 50% and see what happens, if the agent gives you some BS then speak to a supervisor.

Message 5 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would pay.

Credit report exclusion does not negate the fact that you still have unpaid, delinquent debt.  It may shield the fact from discovery by way of a simple pull of your CR, but it can still be discovered, and bite you.

A potential creditor may have the ability to obtain a CR that includes all prior file history, such as higher principal extensions of credit that are exempt from the normal exclusion periods, or they could simply ask if you have any old, unpaid delinquent debt.  If the debt is owed to an affiliate, they may obtain the information by way of affiliate sharing.

Aside from the moral issue of satisfying obligations, it is always best, in my opinion, to have no unpaid, delinquent debt. 

Message 6 of 16
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

TYVM for the responses. I agree, Robert, it is a moral obligation to pay the debt (hey, you have to grow up SOMETIME right?). The question was really more geared to my personal credit education (as most of my questions are).

Something I just noticed after a more careful review of my actual full EQ CR...

This Midland acct is, for some reason, not listed under 'collections', but rather under 'accounts'. Im not sure if this is just a simple mistake, or if it is done intentionally to give consumers more of an incentive to pay (ill explain my reasoning).

As I said, it is listed under accounts, with a 'status' of 120+ days late. If my (limited) understanding of the fico model are even close to right, by having this listed in this fashion, I actually WOULD see a (possible) score increase by a PIF, just by the fact of having one less 'account' that would be showing as PIF rather than the currently late status. Where as the same scenario under 'collections' status would have no effect.

Like I said, perhaps im just misunderstanding the model, but if not ya gotta give Midland kudos for being slick on that one.

Please verify my understanding of the situation...thanks yet again!

Message 7 of 16
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Look up "factoring company," and you'll see the info about their reporting....location/kd's/etc
Message 8 of 16
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Thank you, i did that. Im still not 100% understanding (still new to the credit education world).

If its under 'accounts', and then listed as PIF, wouldnt it then be more of a 'positive' acct (kind of), or atleast drop the 'negative indicator'?

And if that IS the case, wouldnt it then stay 10 years instead of 7, and therefore also gain the AAoA benefit?

Of course, any manual review would find otherwise, as any lender in business more than 5 minutes would know exactly who Midland was, Im speaking more of the score than anything else.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I always advocate paying/settling the debt.  It just keeps it from showing up with the bottom feeder CAs down the road and if questioned if you have any outstanding debts by a lender, you can honestly say "NO".

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.