Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PR Not sure what this mean

tag
Nettieinva
Valued Member

Re: PR Not sure what this mean

PR a provided additional documentation of tand account but here's what they say about reporting as a factoring company. Is this correct? They still reported it as 120 late. What if anything should I do? 

Please also note that Portfolio Recovery Associates has neither the authority nor the ability to change the manner in which the credit reporting agencies, such as Experian, Equifax and TransUnion, describe or report the information we furnish. Any differences in their descriptions or reporting of the information we furnish - such as their description of Portfolio Recovery Associates as a "Factoring Company" instead of "Debt Buyer" or their description of this account as a "Revolving Account" or "Installment Loan"- is the responsibility of the credit reporting agencies, not Portfolio Recovery Associates.

Message 11 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Nettieinva wrote:

PR a provided additional documentation of tand account but here's what they say about reporting as a factoring company. Is this correct? They still reported it as 120 late. What if anything should I do? 

Please also note that Portfolio Recovery Associates has neither the authority nor the ability to change the manner in which the credit reporting agencies, such as Experian, Equifax and TransUnion, describe or report the information we furnish. Any differences in their descriptions or reporting of the information we furnish - such as their description of Portfolio Recovery Associates as a "Factoring Company" instead of "Debt Buyer" or their description of this account as a "Revolving Account" or "Installment Loan"- is the responsibility of the credit reporting agencies, not Portfolio Recovery Associates.

I think I disagree with these statements.  They are the furnisher of the information to the CRAs.  How would the CRA know to call them a factoring company versus a collection agency unless they coded it that way.

Message 12 of 17
Nettieinva
Valued Member

I would agree. So Guiness do you have any suggestions? I'vtrying trying to figure this out and don't know what steps to take. 

Message 13 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would send a direct dispute to the CA under FCRA 623(a)(8).  They have to investigate and correct errors.  They also have to let you now the results of the investigation within 30 days.  If they do not they are in violation of the FCRA.

I furnished a template.  It should all apply since it is a CA.  Pay particular attention to the top 2 since those deal specifically with a CA. 

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

►       (If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb:

►  “This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt  validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b).”.
                  (don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

“In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:
           (specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not yours? etc.)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommened to also include,  as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your
             recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information was  actually reported to your credit flle.  The implementing rule suggests a  showing
               that it appeared in your credit report)

Message 14 of 17
Nettieinva
Valued Member

Thank you!!

Message 15 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 16 of 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with guiness completely on this.  Yes, they know what code they put in to be listed as a factoring company.  If they were to put the correct code in, they would list as a CA and would be listed differently on your CR.  That answer is a bunch of "hogwash".  (Always wanted to use that term).  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.