Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRA Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PRA Question

Hi all!

First post, but really nervous about something.

I'm working on rebuilding and feeling super positive about it.  I have a few sub $1k collections that I'm looking to take care of, but I see PRA sniffing around at least twice a month for the past two years in the soft pulls of my CR.

However, they have nothing actually reported to any of the three bureaus.  Am I wrong in assuming they're sniffing arround in regard to something outside the SOL if they're not reporting anything?  I just don't want to be blindsided.  I at least know that whatever it is, it can't be that much as I have NEVER had any single debt over 1k outside of student loans or cars.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PRA Question

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Somehow this ended up in our spam quarantine, I apologize for it and someone should be along shortly to help you.

Message 2 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all!

First post, but really nervous about something.

I'm working on rebuilding and feeling super positive about it.  I have a few sub $1k collections that I'm looking to take care of, but I see PRA sniffing around at least twice a month for the past two years in the soft pulls of my CR.

However, they have nothing actually reported to any of the three bureaus.  Am I wrong in assuming they're sniffing arround in regard to something outside the SOL if they're not reporting anything?  I just don't want to be blindsided.  I at least know that whatever it is, it can't be that much as I have NEVER had any single debt over 1k outside of student loans or cars.

If its not on your CR then most likely its past the CRTP which is 7.5 yrs max from the accounts DoFD but there is no guarantee if this its just normal procedure for them to report most if they can. I would just go about taking care of the ones on your CR and if they send you a dunning then it can be addressed at that time.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once they have initiated formal actions to collect, such as calling you or reporting to a CRA,, they subject themselves to dunning notice and begin the formal process.

They are likely looking at how serious your other debt problems are, and thus whether a judgment would bear any fruit.

Getting a judgment means nothing if they cannot then collect on it.

This is a case of the better your credit report looks, the worse it could potentially be for you by prodding them to begin serious collection activities.

It could still well be within SOL, and their sniffing is to make a litigation decision before SOL runs out.

You have no idea of a potential debt that would soon be approaching SOL??

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny enough I got a letter from them today and it is in fact about a debt that is past SOL.  Letter clearly states due to the length of time they cannot pursue legal action and they cannot report to the CRA.  It's a 15 year old debt (i figured it out based on the creditor showing)

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Funny enough I got a letter from them today and it is in fact about a debt that is past SOL.  Letter clearly states due to the length of time they cannot pursue legal action and they cannot report to the CRA.  It's a 15 year old debt (i figured it out based on the creditor showing)

Are you going to send them a "drop dead" letter?

Message 6 of 7
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Send a cease and desist letter, in effect stopping them from contacting you any further, either by phone and/or mail. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.