Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRA problems - Advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PRA problems - Advice?

Good Morning all,

Before I was trying to rebuild my credit, I had two old Synchrony accounts go to Portfolio Recovery last year.  They got a judgement against me for one of them.  I consulted an attorney to deal with their attorneys.  I paid them both IN FULL and my attorney got the judgement dismissed (and the judgement is no longer listed on my reports).  I have the paperwork stating as such.  Of course, the two collections remained on my report for some time... One of them states "paid in full" with a $0 balance.  The other (smaller one that never went to judgement) in the remarks states "paid for less than full balance".  In fact, I had to call  more than once to get them to correct the amount due for the longest time.  It had stated (after paying in full) that I still owed twenty some dollars on it - AFTER I had paid it in full!!  It does show $0 now - but still the "less than full balance" comment remains.

I did not settle the accounts because I wanted them removed from my credit.  I stated as such to both PRA and the attorneys the represented them - MANY times.  I should have gotten it in writing - I know that now.  No one ever told me that it wouldn't be deleted upon full payment.  After being part of this community for some time now, I understand what I should have done - water under the bridge now.

I am still trying to get these paid in full collections accounts deleted from my report - but as usual, PRA is blocking my every attempt.  I filed a complaint with the BBB a couple weeks ago stating that my payment in full was to delete these accounts - and that I have been through calling PRA, calling the attorneys, disputing with the CRA's and have gotten no satisfaction.

Today the BBB case got a response from PRA - this paragraph sums it up "PRA has investigated the consumer's allegation and found there was no request, no offer and no promise made to delete any trade line from the credit reporting agencies' consumer reports. There is no record of the consumer having spoken to any PRA representative in regard to the payment of the account ending in **** or ****. There were records of the consumer having spoken twice with PRA's attorneys' office in regard to the payment of the account ending in ****, however our attorneys' review of their recordings of those two calls revealed that while the consumer asked if the account once paid would be removed from the consumer's credit report, the consumer was informed that the attorneys did not furnish information to the credit reporting agencies and would, rather, inform PRA that the account was paid."

What do I do with this?  They state they recieved no calls from me directly - which is a lie.  But how could I possibly prove that.  Even if I could - how could I prove what I had spoken with the reps about?

Am I just stuck with these paid collections for the duration?  Is there anything I can do - besides a GW letter?  I don't relish the thought of asking them for forgivness when I didn't take a settlement and paid in full just so I wouldn't have to deal with the jerks anymore?  I still have the charged off original accounts on my reports as well.  I have had no luck with Synchrony on getting those removed either.

I appreciate any insight you all have!! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PRA problems - Advice?

PRA NEVER does PFD. The only possible way to get them of your credit files is to GW them.. And having a goodwill deletion from PRA will be like hitting the lottery for 1 billion dollars. Good luck trying, and you should at least try.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: PRA problems - Advice?

Your recourse at this point is simple.

You must bring civil action, which then provides you access to the pre-trial discovery process to request any evidence in their possession regardng any oral agreement.

It will then be a matter for the court to decide based on the evidence.

You cannot compel them to produce their documentary evidence through the administrative FCRA dispute process.  You need assistance of the court to get the facts.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.