Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA: Capital One - Secure

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PSA: Capital One - Secure

They now allow you to add to your initial security deposit again. The only caveat is you cannot add to an already activated card. So say you apply and are approve, make your initial deposit of $300, receive your card a few weeks later and decide to add another $300. You can do this as long as your card hasn't been activate. Thereafter, when you activate that will be your limit and reported to CRAs. I was told they just recently made this decision coming from upper management a couple of weeks ago. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PSA: Capital One - Secure

PSA?

FYI:

I put $1300 on my secured Cap 1 that I just opened. 

Then I read more in the forum and apparently the higher limit does jack squat to help my score. What I should have gotten is 4 cards with like 500 250 250 300 (example amounts) and then I would get a much phatter payment history.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELPFUL INFORMATION: Capital One - Secure

PSA or FYI it doesn't matter to me. This isn't a site to be all intellectual cause if that was the case we would not be here due to poor decision with our credit in the past. So however you want to take my post then so be it. I am only here to help otherd out and share what I feel is necessary to assist others with rebuilding. But thanks for your suggestion with my subject line.

It may depend on what all is listed on your report. I only have one card reporting right now and seen a good score jump for all 3 CRAs along with still working to get some baddies removed. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, I totally didn't mean it like that. Your subject line was fine. I was just making a pun .. or something. Sorry if I came off like that.

I was just trying to tell you that a higher limit on the card isn't that amazing. You can actually put up to $3000 on the Capital One secured "before your account is open"  (says so in fine print on the Congratulations! page. I was able to put $1300.

But then I read some posts on this forum, and another member demonstrated to me that it' much better to invest that money into multiple small-limit cards, because that helps your score more.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally understand. But I know at one point even a few weeks back whenever you made your deposit you were stuck with that limit. So today when calling the lady told me u can add just as long as the card wasn't activated which was a big difference from their previous process.

My thoughts behind having a higher limit is to still keep UTI low but show that you are still responsibile and able to handle a larger amount of credit. I think it attracts other creditors as well. I maybe wrong and anyone can chime in...

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm. If you can do this, do you think they would let me lower my limit?  I kinda want to make it a $500 card now instead of $1300.  

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Totally understand. But I know at one point even a few weeks back whenever you made your deposit you were stuck with that limit. So today when calling the lady told me u can add just as long as the card wasn't activated which was a big difference from their previous process.

My thoughts behind having a higher limit is to still keep UTI low but show that you are still responsibile and able to handle a larger amount of credit. I think it attracts other creditors as well. I maybe wrong and anyone can chime in...

Later on this holds true (the saying is 'large limits beget large limits'), but when you're just beginning, you only need show a few months of good payment history on a few small secured cards. Think of these cards as training wheels. As soon as you can get unsecured cards, you close them.

Creditors would much rather see how you handle multiple accounts without problems, than one larger limit account. Thats why FICO looks for multiple accounts and gives you points for them, but does not give you points for increasing your limit on a single account (UTI% is a different issue). 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Norman!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.