cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PUTTING A BILL IN YOUR NAME..DOES IT HELP CREDIT?

tag
bella1013
Contributor

PUTTING A BILL IN YOUR NAME..DOES IT HELP CREDIT?

I'm working to rebuild my credit. My father has been with comcast for 20 years. He's paid the full balance every month, never once had a late payment. We are putting this bill in my name, still keeping my father on the account. Will I get the credit for the 20 years of on time payments? Will the length of time my father has been with comcast factor into my AAoA now that I am going to be on the account? I believe it does with credit cards but does it work the same way with cable bills, phone bills, etc?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: PUTTING A BILL IN YOUR NAME..DOES IT HELP CREDIT?

Comcast or utilities don't report to the CRA's. Only when you go deliquent.

Message 2 of 6
bella1013
Contributor

Oh, ok thanks!
Message 3 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@bella1013 wrote:
Oh, ok thanks!

He can add you as a AU on one of his credit cards, just make sure there is no lates fee's on the account!!!

Message 4 of 6
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Some of the newer credit scoring models are trying to take things like rent and utility payments into account. But a) these models haven't caught on yet with banks and b) even if they do a lot will depend on whether the utility company/cellphone provider/etc. that you use is willing to report to the CRAs.

There's a lot of talk about this because it's seen as a way to help younger people establish a credit. But so far it's not a reality.

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Utililities, cable, satellite, etc usually report to a different CRA, NCTUE.  Good and bad accounts.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.