Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Barclay Charge Off, lost 6 points.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid Barclay Charge Off, lost 6 points.

I had a Barclay Itunes Visa with a $250 limit CO.   I paid it, I owed it (well not necessarily ALL of it), figured I would GW it later.  Prior to paying it, it reported as: 

Status as of Oct, 2010
Date Opened Apr, 2009
Date of Last Activity Mar, 2010
Largest Past Balance $253
Account Type Revolving
Account Holder Individual
Scheduled Payment Amount $385
Industry All Banks
  Amount in high credit is original charge-off amount
Balance [?] Current Status [?] Past Due Amount [?]
$522Bad debt/collection$134
Seven year payment history [?]
30 days late 60 days late 90+ days late
1 time (Apr 2010)
1 time (May 2010)
4 times (Sep 2010, Aug 2010, Jul 2010, Jun 2010)
Recent payment history [?]
Worst Delinquency [?]
120+ days past due

After I paid it, it reported as: 
Status as of Sep, 2011
Date Opened Apr, 2009
Date of Last Activity Mar, 2010
Largest Past Balance $250
Account Type Revolving
Account Holder Individual
Scheduled Payment Amount $385
Industry All Banks
Paid charge off
Balance [?] Current Status [?]
$0Bad debt/collection
Seven year payment history [?] 30 days late 60 days late 90+ days late
1 time (Apr 2010)
1 time (May 2010)
15 times (Aug 2011, Jul 2011, Jun 2011, May 2011, Apr 2011, Mar 2011, Feb 2011, Jan 2011, Dec 2010, Nov 2010, Oct 2010, Sep 2010, Aug 2010, Jul 2010, Jun 2010)
Recent payment history [?] 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 2009 2010 2011
OKOKOKOKOKOKOK30 Days Late60 Days Late90 Days Late120 Days Late120 Days Late120 Days LateCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollection
Worst Delinquency [?]
Bad debt/collection

Paying lost me 6 points. 6 points isn't a whole lot but when rebuilding EVERY POINT COUNTS.    It's counterintuitive to be punished for paying your bills.  It was charged off in Sept 2010.  When my score went up to 622, my AAoA went up from 5 to 6 years and my most recent late payment was 1 year ago.  I paid this, now it says my most recent late was 1 month ago.  So frustrating to do the right thing and get dinged. Does it seem that the account as reported now is correct?  So frustrated. 

ETA:  Sorry for the messy formatting.  Looks fine until I hit post then it goes all screwy!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid Barclay Charge Off, lost 6 points.

Paying this resulted in them updating the Worst Delinquency from "120+ days past due" to "Bad debt/Collection" and adding 11 90+ late payments.  That just baffles my mind and does not seem right at all. 

Message 2 of 11
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

Bummer! That does not seem fair!

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's unfortunate Smiley Sad.  Seems right though -- you paid, it updated.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's unfortunate Smiley Sad.  Seems right though -- you paid, it updated.

Right I paid it.  But they updated the date of the CO.  That's what doesn't seem right.  The CO was a year ago and now it reports as though it was THIS month. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've sent a GW to Barclays to ask about removing the negative reporting or in the alternative to delete the tradeline.  They asked for some supporitng documentation which I provided and then received a letter today that stated: 

This letter is in response to your dispute regarding the information we have reported to the credit bureau reporting agencies.  We have completed our invesitgation and agree to change the information that has been reported.  Specifically, we have removed the late payment history that you disputed, and updated the negative reporting of the account to all credit bureau reporting agencies.  Please allow 30 days yadda yadda...

Sooooo, while I didn't really dispute any information, they are removing something.  Just have to wait and see what exactly they did.  Hopefully I'll at least get the 6 points back!  This all occured over the course of 3 days through e-mails. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid Barclay Charge Off, lost 6 points.***UPDATE****

Well, sure enough, Barclays removed ALL the derog info.  GW's definitely do work.  Haven't pulled a new score yet so notsure if that changed.  I haven't received a new ScoreWatch alert though. 

BRCLYSBANKDE

Old - 09/29/2011
New - 10/03/2011
Comparison
Account No.:
Condition:PaidPaid
Balance:$0$0
Type:Credit CardCredit Card
Pay Status:Collection/ChargeoffCurrent
Past Due:$0$0
High Balance:$522$522
Terms:------
Limit:$250$250
Payment:$0$0
Opened:04/02/200904/02/2009
Reported:09/08/201109/30/2011
Responsibility:IndividualIndividual
Remarks:Payment after charge off/collection
Canceled by credit grantor
Account closed by consumer

ETA:  Ok, I went and pulled my new scores Couldn't wait!  My TU went up to 670!  My EQ went up to 657!!!  Got my six points back and then some!  This a hundred+ point gain on both scores since July.  I'm shocked and soooooo grateful I discovered this site. 

Message 7 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Awesome example of keeping the TL all the while getting the status changed. WTG!

Message 8 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

Bummer,

SAme thing happened to me when I finally paid a CO for Kay Jewellers.

It was CO in 2009 and never reported to the CB's. The minute I pay it off in full this year, they update all the CB's with 20 + 30 days late and on EQ it reported that my most recent late was 1 month ago.

So I got slammed for paying my CO in full. But it's the way Kay reported it and those @$#$%@$ managers when I call them told me everything they reported is true with arrogance and he even did an evil laugh at the end. GW's so far are ineffective.

So to your point, you get hammered for paying off CO's. Unfair

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

Bummer,

SAme thing happened to me when I finally paid a CO for Kay Jewellers.

It was CO in 2009 and never reported to the CB's. The minute I pay it off in full this year, they update all the CB's with 20 + 30 days late and on EQ it reported that my most recent late was 1 month ago.

@Anonymous I got slammed for paying my CO in full. But it's the way Kay reported it and those @$#$%@$ managers when I call them told me everything they reported is true with arrogance and he even did an evil laugh at the end. GW's so far are ineffective.

So to your point, you get hammered for paying off CO's. Unfair

Yeah, sounds exactly right.  I was really bummed when I saw how it updated when I paid it.  So unfair.  Do the right thing and get punished.  Oh well, I felt I did the right thing and now this debt will never come back to haunt me.  And I was successful in GW'ing it to positive account so it happend to work out for me, this time. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.