Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid CO now wanting to know best action to take

tag
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Paid CO now wanting to know best action to take

I have a CO Sync/American Eagle card that was CO with a balance of $200. I PIF to Northland Group, who owned the debt according to Synchrony. I tried several times unsuccessfully to negotiate a PFD with Sync. They were having no part of that. I offered to pay the CO balance directly to them, they still refused. So I PIF to Northland Group on 1/24.
Northland is nowhere on my CR's but Synchrony has been updating this monthly as an open CO with a balance which appeared to be affecting my utilization. The CC only had a 150 balance so I'm assuming that the 200 was due to late fees/interest. So I'm under the impression that it was appearing to FICO as though I not only had a CO but a maxed out card as well. Did that make sense?
My questions are:
When Synchrony updates the account as a closed PIF CO with a zero balance will my score improve since my utilization will go down? I understand that the CO will still be there and that in itself will keep my score down, but with it reporting a zero balance as opposed to a maxed out balance will that give me any point increase?
Also, any advice on how to possibly attempt a GW deletion with them? It is my account. It is a valid debt. I know that creditors are required to report "accurate information" but I also know they are allowed to report whatever they want at their discretion. I also understand that payment of a debt is not basis for deletion so I'm wondering if GW will even work? I have had zero luck with PFD's with anything so paying my CO's and collections and attempting GW is my new plan of action and I want to be as prepared as possible when attempting to GW.
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Paid CO now wanting to know best action to take

The balance on the revolving account, and thus its effect on % util, is the same as that of any other revolving account.  The CO is a tack-on that remains unless they voluntarily delete the reported CO.  Reduction of % util on one account normally, but not always, improves % util.  Paying down a maxred out account will almost always improve your % util scoring, but if all accounts, for example, are reporting $0, that is not maximization of % util. 

If you pay off an account that was previously charged-off, I would suggest including the following logic in your GW request.

Reporting of a CO is basically placing a statement in a consumer's credit file that they are not expected to pay a debt.  If the consumer does, in fact, pay the debt, it does not remove the fact that the creditor took that accounting measure, but it does show that the consumer does, when finally able, pay their obligated debt.

Thus, it can be argued that removal of that statement from a consumer's credit report more accurately reflect upon the commitment of that consumer to pay their obligated debt, and not simply continue to stiff their debts.

Message 2 of 3
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Re: Paid CO now wanting to know best action to take

Thank you so much!!! Smiley Happy Any advice on how soon to send the GW letter? I paid on 1/24/17. The Northland Group stated they would send me a letter confirming full payment of account but I haven't received it yet. Should I attach a copy of the correspondence from Northland along with my GW letter? And who/what dept should I address it to? Any advice/input greatly appreciated Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.