Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid CO status update from closed to 120 past due

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid CO status update from closed to 120 past due

I recently asked an OC to update the COMMENT field on my CR to remove the "dispute" comment.

They did this, but also updated the STATUS to "120 days late 4 or more times"

Previously the status was closed, as this is a paid/settled/closed CO.

Can they ( The OC ) really change the staus of a closed accout with $0 balance to show late?

My EQ went down 18 points and my EX went down 31 points!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid CO status update from closed to 120 past due

Assuming the late information that they are reporting is accurate, I don't see what would prevent them from making that change.  It definitely sucks, no doubt, and unfortunately sometimes when you poke the sleeping bear you don't end with the most favorable result.  All you can do I suppose is contact them and see if they'll remove the new information they reported, simply stating that it wasn't there prior so you'd appreciate it being removed.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought the status line was to report the current status at the time of the update?
How does a paid CO with $0 balance go from "closed" to "at Least 120 Days Or More Than Four Payments Past Due"
???
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know I've encountered problems when just asking some of these cc ding dongs for the smallest of things and they always get it wrong.  I would try again and see if you can get somewhere.  If at first you don't succeed...................Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Whether an account is open or closed to further use is unrelated to its current status.

Current status records whether it is delinquent, and if so, its level of delinquency, or whether it is in good standing.

The problem is not a change from closed to delinquency, but rather a change to delinquency status of a paid account.

Howver, be sure that it is not simply showing the number of reported payment history derogs, and that the inaccuracy is clearly on the current status.

Message 5 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I like the idea also of trying to call and see if you can't gdt them to change it, based off of how it was reporting prior.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Whether an account is open or closed to further use is unrelated to its current status.

Current status records whether it is delinquent, and if so, its level of delinquency, or whether it is in good standing.

The problem is not a change from closed to delinquency, but rather a change to delinquency status of a paid account.

Howver, be sure that it is not simply showing the number of reported payment history derogs, and that the inaccuracy is clearly on the current status.

My FICO shows different info than the CRA.

My FICO reports the STATUS as: "at least 120 days or more than four payments past due."

EQ shows nothing on the CURRENT STAUS line.

EQ shows no 81 month history on which My FICO would base its status on.

If it makes a difference, EQ shows ACCOUNT TYPE as: "Open."

I really don't see where My FICO got its status from....

Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The devil is in the details, meaning the accuracy depends upon what "status" is being reflected.

The payment history profile retains the full prior history of each derog.

The payment rating retains the highest level of delinquency prior to its current status.

Current status is only a snapshot of the account status as of the last reporting, and will show a delinquency status until the account is paid or otherwise retturned to good standing.  It will then reflect only the current status,with no showing of any prior, historical delinquency status.

The CRA thus retains prior delinquency information and current status information.  The real issue is under what cubby hole it is retained, and what a given showing in a commenrcail credit report is referencing.  Commercial credit reports can often blur the distinction in how they format and present info, with asserted inaccuracies actually being in how the credit report presents information rather than inaccuracy in actual reporting by the funishers of the information.

Yes, it is important to correct inaccuracies, but correction does not usually lead to deletion of information.

If you are sure that the Cureent Status is showing some form of delinquency and the account is paid, then it is inaccurate and should be corrected.

However, if the same inaccuracies are being shown in the credit report, but are stored in the consumer file under payment history or payment rating, it is likely that there is no actually inaccuracy in reported information on the part of any furnisher.

I would prefer to see a more detailed credit report from annualcreditreport.com, which is more likely to be absent of commercail formatting issues and thus permit assessment of the actual accuracy of the raw reporting.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the MyFICO info from the app.

I got the EQ info from their online dispute web page.

(i tried posting a screen shot but it didn't seem to work)

I was going to wait a couple months before pulling the free reports.

I can tell you that no new accounts were added to my EQ report and no other accounts have updated other than the one in question.

Could the currrent status being left empty on EQ, as opposed to closed for example, cause a drop?

Message 9 of 10
AutoBot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My EQ went down 18 points and my EX went down 31 points!

Ouch! That stinks.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.