cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Charge Off Showing New Late Payments - Should I Dispute This?

tag
BrokeStudent2010
Contributor

Paid Charge Off Showing New Late Payments - Should I Dispute This?

I opened a Bank of America credit card account in March 2004.I fell behind in payments and the account was charged off. The Date of Last Activity is listed as May 2008. I worked with a collection agency and paid the entire charged off amout between 2009 and June 2012. My FICO Score Power Reports from 2013 used to reflect that it was a paid charge off and they showed the follwing late payments:

• 30 Days Late: 2 times June 2009, May 2009
  • 60 Days Late: 4 times
  • 90+ Days Late: 5 times (Nov 2008)

I just pulled my FICO Score Report for January 2015 and a bunch of late payments have been added to the 90+ days late column. Now it looks like this:

• 90+ days late: 14 times (Jun 2013, May 2013, Apr 2013, Mar 2013, Feb 2013, Jan 2013, Dec 2012, Nov 2012, Oct 2012, Sep 2012, Aug 2012, Jul 2012, Jun 2012, Nov 2008). 

The Date of Last Activity it still showing up as May 2008, and it still says that it's a paid charge off. All these late payment dates are after I made all the payments to the collection agency. Why are they showing up as late payments now?

I want to dispute this, but I'm concerned that this will reset up my date of last activity, and then I'd have to wait until 2020 for these items to drop off. 

Should I dispute or monitor it to see if it fixes itself? Do you all have any advice on how to handle this situation? My current FICO score is 715 and I don't want to do anything that will cause it to drop.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Paid Charge Off Showing New Late Payments - Should I Dispute This?

A dispute will not affect when the reported derogs will become excluded from your credit report.

Exclusion of monthly delinquencies is no later than 7 years from their dates of occurence.  DOLA has no effect.

The issue in any dispute would be whether you were actually delinquent as the reported level for that month, not that they delayed in reporting of the delinquencies.

It is a pretty nasty act on their part to pile on derogs after you have paid the debt, but not prohibited if they are accurate.

I would call the creditor and first discuss informally with them to determine if they intetionally reported additional derogs.

If so, I would first request their good will deletion rather than dispute.

If you contest that you were actually delinqent in the reported months, then by all means you should dispute.

Message 2 of 6
BrokeStudent2010
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. Does it matter if I don't remember the account number? Since I had paid this thing off 2 years ago, I might not have any documents with the account number anymore. I hope they can pull me up in their system. 

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they just reported, isnt your account number shown in your credit report?

Message 4 of 6
BrokeStudent2010
Contributor

Not the whole number, just the last few digits. 

Message 5 of 6
sobreezy
Contributor

Hey I just had this happen to me with US bank so let me know how it goes for you!

MyFako scores EX 594, EQ 553, TU 589 as of 10 Jun 11
myFICO EQ 614 TU 599 EX 644
Goal 700 by March 30 2015
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.