Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Charge Off Still Reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid Charge Off Still Reporting

I have this charged off account on my credit report. It was settled/paid in July of 2015 with the collections agency yet it is still being reported as a charged off account every month with a note that it is a paid charge off. Is this accurate reporting or should they have stopped reporting in July of last year?

Untitled.jpg

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid Charge Off Still Reporting

Nope they have the right to report it for 7 more years I have 3 zero balance settled for less accounts with citibank from 2013.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can continually to actively report as a charge off each month? I just checked my other two credit reports and on those they stopped reporting in July of last year when I paid.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.  My sears stopped in 2014, the home depot reports current CO. You can start GW letters. If one Bureau gets removed remember to only pursue new accounts that pull that specific Bureau. A trick I learned years too late. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh... that stinks! Do you know if it is negatively affecting your score each month with it continuing to report?

Message 5 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ugh... that stinks! Do you know if it is negatively affecting your score each month with it continuing to report?

A CO (paid or unpaid doesn't matter) is a major negative for as long as it is on your report... which is up to 7 years.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

A CO (paid or unpaid doesn't matter) is a major negative for as long as it is on your report... which is up to 7 years.

I understand. My concern is I will be applying for a mortgage in February. Will this current CO being reported keep me from being approved even though it was paid in 2015? I know they want to see at least 12 months of perfect history and I didn't know if this current reporting would affect that.

Message 7 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

I understand. My concern is I will be applying for a mortgage in February. Will this current CO being reported keep me from being approved even though it was paid in 2015? I know they want to see at least 12 months of perfect history and I didn't know if this current reporting would affect that.

I've read that unpaid collections/COs are usually required to be paid before a mortgage loan... but your question is probably better asked in the mortgage forums.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

No, they can see that its paid, and while it "looks" like its actively reporting each month, I doubt that it is. Where are you viewing your reports?

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The screen shot is from Equifax's website. Below is what it shows on MyFico. The fact that recent months are included in the 90+ days late category scares me. Should I dispute and ask the OC to correct this to stop reporting July 2015 like TU & EX shows? Untitled.jpg

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.