Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Charge off. PFD or Leave Alone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid Charge off. PFD or Leave Alone?

Hey just a quick question...

I paid off a charged off Capital One Card for a lesser amount. The account was still with Capital One. My score went up 7pts so I'm happy about that.

Should I try and still get the account removed or let it be?

Thanks
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid Charge off. PFD or Leave Alone?

You could try a GW attempt for removal with Cap One, however it is very rare with OCs especially given the fact that you settled for a lesser amount.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well my score went up 7 points. Will it make a difference if it gets removed?
Message 3 of 4
thornback
Senior Contributor

Your score went up because you paid the balance owed, so it is no longer being factored into your overall util.  Once the charge-off is removed, yes, you will likely see a significant score increase (25+ points) as a charge-off is one of the worst types of derogatories (some see a decrease if the chargeoff is one of their oldest accounts, as it reduces AAoA; some see no score change because the points gained from removal are neutralized by penalty of a reduced AAoA; most see an increase).  But it's very rare to have an OC remove a charge off unless you can prove substrantial reporting inaccuracies -- and even then, they are more likely to correct errors than remove the tradeline.  But you can try a Goodwill - you never know. 

Even if you are unable to get it removed, your score will recover as time goes on.  The account is now truly closed and therefore, will no longer be updated by the OC -- allowing it to age and reduce damage to your score - though it will hurt till the day it is actually removed.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.