Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Charge off status on CapOne

tag
Tigremalo2001
New Contributor

Paid Charge off status on CapOne

I paid a $445 CO  to CapOne. They were deceitful with their arrangement (They said they will remove it).So far the account has been updated to paid charge off

. Is this the best status on the tradeline? Do I have a legal way to honor their verbal agreement.? Can they update the status to something better,? I removed a medical collection also and it took 3 months. Can this new status help my credit report? The account was opened in 2011, paid off in June 2017 . When would this come off my credit report? Thanks for any advice!

Starting FICO scores 5/2017--- 580 EQ/ 531 TU/535 EXperian

As of 12/29/17 Curent FICO ----691 EQ/ 666 TU/ 686 Experian
8 REPLIES 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Paid Charge off status on CapOne

What was the Date of First Delinquency (DoFD)? You might need to get your actual reports from the credit bureaus (not from a monitoring site) for that.
Message 2 of 9
Tigremalo2001
New Contributor

first late or first charge off??

Message 3 of 9
Tigremalo2001
New Contributor

found it on the real credit report 6/2016

Message 4 of 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

If the DoFD is 6/2016 it will fall off 12/2023, but the bureaus regularly delete items at 7 years to be sure they are in compliance with the law, so most likely 6/2023.
Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A debt that has become delinquent has a Current Status of delinquency, which can be either reported as a level of monthly delinquency, such as 90-late, or if serously delinquent and not expected to be paid, as a charge-off.

The Current Status is simply a snapshot of the status as of their last reporting.  When a debt is paid, the creditor is required to "promptly" update the debt balance to $0 and the current status to paid.  FCRA 623(a)(2).  If satisfaction of the debt is agreed as a settlement for less than the full debt, the creditor can also report the special comment that clarifies the paid status as being for less than the full amount of the debt, but the debt is still discharged and its balance is $0.

An agreement to delete any adverse reporting to a CRA, such as the charge-off, is separate.

The Paid or Paid/settled for less current status is still accurate, and is not disputable.

While CRA policy instructs creditors not to delete based on payment of the debt, if the creditor agrees prior to payment to deletion, it is a contract term that becomes legally binding once the consumer complies by paying the debt. 

Yes, you can bring civil action against the creditor for breach of contract (written or oral, as the case may be) if you pay and they subsequently fail to comply with their agreement.  It is a matter civil contract to be heard and decided by the courts.

I would advise sending an intent to sue letter, notifying them of their contract agreement, and giving them one reporting cycle to comply with their agreement.

Message 6 of 9
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

It would be unusual for Cap1 to verbally agreed to a PFD on a recent charge off, but I think your best bet would be to email the CEO regarding their promise to delete.  You can find his email address with a Google search.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 7 of 9
Tigremalo2001
New Contributor

Thanks..I will try a letter. They said that they will look at recorded conversations. And they did promise. BTW My fico just got bumped to 639 Eq after CAP ONE is reporting as paid charge off. So I guess it does affect the score.

Message 8 of 9
Tigremalo2001
New Contributor

On credit karma equifax..today it said..Your cap One card has been removed  from your report or profile. Could it be real??I don't have access to a real credit report.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.