Valued Member

Paid/Charged Off Capital One

So before I began my rebuilding journey and before I knew about PFD's, I decided to pay Capital One after they had charged off the account. Currently, the account is showing empty (no late payments, 0 balance) but still showing "Payment after Charge Off" and its a negative indicator. Would it be worth it to try and send GW letter to them. Keep in mind, I have no existing accounts with them.

Just want to know the best route to go on this one.

Re: Paid/Charged Off Capital One

You can always try a GW.  Cap 1 seems to be pretty hit and miss when it comes to those.  Some have had luck, others they wouldn't budge.

Mega Contributor

Re: Paid/Charged Off Capital One

[ Edited ]

In order to do a charge-off, and thus shift the debt from a receivable asset to a business loss, the owner must make the determination that they consider the consumer is not going to pay the debt.  It has become "uncollectible," usually based on passage of time over 120 days.

The significance in requesting good-will deletion of a charge-off, even if the debt is paid, is that their past dealing with you resulted in that determination.

Not usually a good entry point for requesting their favor.

Thus, I would include some explantion in your GW request that provides a reason why you delayed in payment until after the point where every indication to them was that you were not going to pay.  Extenuating circumstances?

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.