Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Child Support Arrears today

tag
buildingitbackup
Regular Contributor

Paid Child Support Arrears today

So this was the last thing looming on my CR since I started rebuilding my credit over the past couple years.   After speaking with both the enforcement agency and clerk of court I paid the balance this morning... great feeling (wasn't a small one). Both agencies assured me that the $479 left in interest would not have an adverese affect on my CR anymore. That balance would be "internal" similar to court fees.  I've tried to do as much research as I could to figure out what happens next.  I still feel that I'm at the mercy of the CS agency.  They stated that the tradeline should completely come off all the bureaus.  Is this true? Does anyone have similar experience? Do I need to DV with the bureaus.  I find it too good to be true that this account will just magically dissapear.

Starting Score: <600 & No Score 2/2011
Current Score EQ : 726
Current Score (TU Walmart): 676
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Paid Child Support Arrears today

How is the child support tradeline showing on your reports ? Was there a judgement?
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 11
buildingitbackup
Regular Contributor

No judgement. It was showing the arrears as well as the interest that had accrued with the county clerk. Multiple 1 X 30's

Message 3 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It depends on the state you live in or the CSS is located.  Different states have different statutes pertaining to this.  Some will remove it some won't.

Message 4 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Child support tradelines shouldn't be factored into your FICO score ~ so in this case I don't think your score will be hurt even if it doesn't get removed.
Message 5 of 11
buildingitbackup
Regular Contributor

Im in FL.  I understand score probably wont be affected. If anything the lates might cause a jump from being removed.  I just want to find out if it will be reported as a prior deliquent account or wether the delete button gets pressed and it goes away completely.  From what I've been told by both agencies it is to be removed.....

Message 6 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Hopefully they'll be removed ~ as Guiness mentioned it will vary by state as to how they handle reporting.
Message 7 of 11
bahbahd
Established Contributor

While CS tradelines should not be factored in to the FICO score, I have experienced where the negative remarks on such an account do impact the score as they are derogatory remarks against the account itself.  I think the only time a CS account does not carry any weight is when it is PIF each month, has no negative payment history remarks and just reports as a monthly debt.

Message 8 of 11
XxRaVeNxX1
Contributor

Child support tradelines shouldn't be factored into your FICO score ~ so in this case I don't think your score will be hurt even if it doesn't get removed.

This isn't true, there are numerous threads about people being dinged for 120 day lates on their credit report for arrears or it being in collections.

Message 9 of 11
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Credit aside, good on you for getting this taken care of. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.