Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Closed Charge-Off in Full, Equifax Score Went Down 12pts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid Closed Charge-Off in Full, Equifax Score Went Down 12pts

Paid in Full a 5.5 year old Charge-Off last month and just received resolution from Equifax but my score went from 697 to 685.
Experian went from 594 to 620.
TransUnion stayed at 724.

Anyone else have their score lowered after paying off Closed Charge-Offs?

Would deleting the charge off from my credit report help my score rather than keep it on my record for “credit history”?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid Closed Charge-Off in Full, Equifax Score Went Down 12pts

Something else is happening on your profile.

Did your credit card utilization go up on any one credit card?

Any new accounts posted?

Any loans paid to $0 too?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have:
Capital One Credit Card - 0% Utilization, No Lates
SelfLender $250 balance - No Lates
3 Inquiries

My score was higher last month when I only paid half the balance of the Charge Off.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the creditor had not updated with a given CRA for a lengthy period, then payment forced an update that also effectively reported that the delinquency had extended up to that date.  That can negatively affect payment history scoring of the derog.\

Perhaps there were differences in dates of prior updates with each CRA that resulted in differing impact of closing out the delinquency period of the debt.

Additionally, is it a revolving account?

If so, were the reported credit limits and balances the same with each CRA when the debt was paid?

Paying could have differing effects on % util scoring if the current % utils  at each CRA were different when the debt was reduced to $0.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.