Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Collection now reporting?

tag
coachb123
Regular Contributor

Paid Collection now reporting?

Okay so I got a letter from a CA in the mail for a medical bill.  I checked my credit report and it was not shown so I decided to go ahead and pay it.  Now 3 weeks after I paid it, suddenly it shows up as a paid account by the CA.  Can they do this since I paid before they started reporting it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid Collection now reporting?

I don't know for sure that they are allowed or not, but CREDIT PROTECTION ASSOCIATION  did it to me for a time waner cable bill that I paid before got a notice from them about it.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes they can.  A bit sleazy, but not improper.

The debt collector obtained collection authority on the date of assignment of the debt to them for collection.  The collection thus became an accurate item of information as of that date.

The FCRA does not place time limitations on the reporting of accurate information to the CRA.  That even extends to reporting after the expiration of the credit report exclusion period.

Their reporting would have to simultaneously report the date their collection authority was "opened," then report the collection closed, and with a $0 balance still under collection.  Kinda unnecessary, but not improper.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to hijack a thread but it stinks lol.
I have worked hard on getting my credit on track..
I only have two baddies and that's one of them..
by the way I owe it all to the knowledge I have received by reading this forum...
So thanks to all members!!!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.