cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Collections?

tag
FSUNolez5488

Paid Collections?

Today is my first day on the forums here, been reading a lot while trying to get some work done.  My question is, my FICO is at 563...not great by any means...but today I was able to pay off an amount that was in collections...how will this affect it?  The amount was only for $97.99.  Will this be removed from my credit score?  I am a newbie to all this, figured it was time I started getting serious about getting it into shape being I would like to look into buying a house a year from now.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Paid Collections?

Paying a collection does not improve your score or remove it from your credit report.

Read the stickies in my signature, lots of good information and a place to start.

Welcome to the forums.

Message 2 of 10
FSUNolez5488

Ok...Thanks...

I was just wondering if this would have any effect at all.  Thought it may but I wasen't real sure. 

Message 3 of 10
lesse
Frequent Contributor

I would search the name of the collection agency to see if they do PFD's (they will delete because of payment ) although you already paid it doesn't hurt to call them or send them a letter and ask ...having a collection completely removed could help more than just paying it.
START (FICO): 1/28/2013 EQ: 499 EX: 558 TU: 536
Lender Pull:
UPDATED SCORE 10/2015: EX: 763 TU: 709 EQ: 720

GOAL 800 Across the board
Wallet:Credit One $600; NFCU (secured- Changed to unsecured) $7500; NFCU (Unsecured)$500- increase to $12,500 BOA: $1000 Home Depot/Lowes $800 each Childrens Place $350 Sams Club $800
Garden Time Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 10
FSUNolez5488

I was thinking I would give them a call again and see if they would do a PFD on it, I suppose I should have asked about that while I was paying.  But can't hurt to call and ask. 

Message 5 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im new to this,whats a pfd
Message 7 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Im new to this,whats a pfd

PFD is Pay For Delete. You can click on my blue sticky lots of good info and abbreviations as well to learn

Message 8 of 10
FSUNolez5488

Guiness,

It is already paid in full...I only owed $97.99...

Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If it is already paid the best you can do is send a GW letter.  I certainly would not pay it again to have it deleted.  If they took your money to do that then that would be really illegal.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.