Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Medical Collection: GW or Hipaa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid Medical Collection: GW or Hipaa

Hello -

I have an issue. I paid in full 4 medical collections that were on my credit report. They show as paid now, but they are still there. Should I GW for deletion or can I send a Pre-HIPAA letter. I went into the office and paid, so I also have receipts. The last one has 'pd in full' written on it by the person who took my payments. I also have the cancelled checks.

I have formulated a GW letter, if this is the way I should go, please let me know if it sounds okay. Send any AND all suggestions and comments.

Here is my letter:

Regarding account numbers xxxxxx, xxxxx, xxxxxx, and xxxxxx

Collection Agency

123 1st  Street

USA

Dear Madam/Sir:

I am writing to you concerning account numbers xxxxxx, xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and xxxxxx, which were medical accounts with Children’s Hospital and Metrolab, both located in New Orleans, LA. These accounts went into collection after continued delinquency, and were transferred to your office, Southern Credit Recovery. I was not aware that I owed these fees, as I have insurance. I was not informed of this prior to the accounts being sent to collections. I was only made aware of these collections once I checked my credit reports. These accounts have since been paid in full, but it reports as a collection account. I am writing to request a  “goodwill” adjustment to the three credit reporting agencies Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian, concerning this account. I would like you to consider removing this derogatory information from my credit report.  

I am a single mother working very hard to take care of my daughter. I have had some tough times, yes, but I have persisted. Just when things started to look up, Hurricane Katrina devastated my home, and I was left with nothing. I have climbed a very hard uphill climb, and within the past few years, worked diligently to get back on my feet. I am at a point in my life where I want to move forward and provide a better life for my daughter and I. However, these blemishes on my credit report are inhibiting my progress. I sincerely hope that you will consider erasing these items from my credit reports.

I thank you in advance for your consideration and for taking the time to read this letter.

Yours faithfully,

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Valued Member

Re: Paid Medical Collection: GW or Hipaa

Hello..... I sent a pre-hippa and got a paid medical removed from equi and trans.

Starting Score: EQ-448 / TU-483
Current Score: TU-593 / EQ-591
Goal Score:700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
highlandfletch
Valued Member

Re: Paid Medical Collection: GW or Hipaa

Everything I've read says to go directly with the HIPAA.  I'd go back to the beginning and follow the first few steps before proceeding, and then move directly onto the letter to the OC.  If it doesn't work, you can always GW them later.  (If you do GW, make sure you go straight to the top; find out the name of the CEO and email directly to them.  It worked with Kohl's, so I' a big proponent of hitting the big guns first!)  I just had success doing the steps exactly as laid out and my DH's CR just had a 22 point increase due to the deletion of a recent collection. 

Good Luck!

Message Edited by highlandfletch on 07-23-2009 08:49 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.