Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Medical Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid Medical Collection

(First of all, I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong folder)

I had a $160 medical collection from my son's birth. It was the pediatrician's bill for his circumsicion submitted to a collection agency in 2009. 

I called the collection agency a few days ago to pay it off and they told me that they had sent it back to the hospital. So, I called the hospital to pay it off and they're going to mail me a receipt. 

Should I send a goodwill letter to the hospital to try to get this removed from my CR? Or should I use the HIPAA process that I keep reading about?

(If there's another thread somewhere that explains this, feel free to just give that to me. I tried searching the boards, but I'm not even really sure WHAT I'm looking for.)

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid Medical Collection

First off, the hospital is not the one reporting to your credit report...it's a collection agency for the hospital. From what I gather (and someone chime in if I am wrong), hospitals can not report to credit reporting agencies, only the collection agency can.

This is from my experience, and YMMV, but when I had a medical collection pop up on my credit report, I immediately called the hospital. It was actually a duplicate billing issue, but the representative told me I would have to pay the collection agency. Knowing it was a duplicate bill, I disputed the collection account with each credit reporting agency and sent a DV to the collection agency. A week later, I received a letter from the collection agency that the account was removed from my credit reports. And it was!

As long as you paid the hospital and have a receipt or other verification of payment, I would DV the collection agency and dispute the collection account with the credit reporting agencies. If the collection agency can't verify the account, it must be removed. And since you've paid the amount to the hospital, the collection agency should not have any reason to verify or validate. Worked for me.

However, you may want to search for HIPAA laws just to be safe. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.