Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Medical Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid Medical Collections

My wife has paid collections on her CR. Do I start at HIPPA step #3, scenario #3 in her case? Can I not just dispute with the CRA's saying the debt has been paid, HIPAA says the CA has completed their task as the business associate of the OC (covered entity under HIPAA), and they no longer have a business purpose to your protected health information and that it is a violation of HIPAA if an invalid collection is on your credit reports? Or do I have to go by the scenario?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paid Medical Collections

Start the process in this order.

Opt-out with the CRAs

Opt-out with current creditors that your wife is in good standing with. Do not opt-out with CAs or any creditor that she is in bad standing with.

Send this PRE-HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER to the CRAs CM. Be sure to use personalized stationary and handwrite the letter. Wait up to 35 days for CRAs to complete their investigations. Post results in this thread before doing anything else.                                         

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you sir!

What is the point of the opt-out process? Never really understood that piece and why it's only recommended in the HIPPA process?

Message 3 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

How do you if I'm a sir?Smiley Happy LOL!

Opting-out is a very powerful tool to use when in credit repair mode, and its not just limited to med collections. Opting-out helps prevent CRAs and your creditors from sharing your personal information with third-parties who have no business to it.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:

How do you if I'm a sir?Smiley Happy LOL!

Because no lady I've ever known has eaten SPAM!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.