Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid OC and now received notice from CA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid OC and now received notice from CA

So I had an overdue bill with Comcast which was placed with a CA. I saw it on my credit report, but never received and correspondence from them. I had the money so I called up Comcast and paid them in full. they said they would send me a letter stating it was paid in full. I asked if they would recall the debt and they said they couldn't. Anyways today I received two emails from the CA stating that this is an attempt to collect a debt and you have 30 days to validate the debt if you want to, etc but indicated a zero balance. I also got a separate email that was a paid in full letter. is there anything I can do to get this deleted since they never notified me that the account was with them. Any information will be helpful.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Paid OC and now received notice from CA

A debt collector is not requried to provide the consumer any notice prior to reporting to a CRA.

While case law has held that reporting to a CRA is an act that triggers the obligation to send dunning notice, the fact that they did not do so is only a violation of their debt collection practices obligations under the FDCPA, and is not basis for requriing any deleteion of their credit reporting.

You can file a complaint with the CFPB over their lack of timely dunning notice, and perhaps the CFPB will give them a slap on the wrist, particularly since they did eventually send the notice.  They most likely sent it when then recognized that they were not timely.

However, if you are seeking deletion of their reported collection, you will need their good will, so I would let the lack of timeliness of their dunning notice pass.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.