Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid OC

tag
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

Paid OC

So I recently paid off a CO with the OC. They weren't reporting on my CR but the CA was. Now dummie me, in all my excitment that I was paying it off, forgot to ask the OC if they can recall it. Should I call them or the CA to asked for it to be removed? The CA is NCO

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid OC

After it is paid off I don't see how the CA would have a leg to stand on if you filed a dispute with the CRAs. After all, you don't owe them any money for this account.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Paid OC

If the debt collector reported the fact of their collection on the debt, the OC has no standing to compel them to delete their reporting. There is no such thing as an OC recalling the reporting of a collection.  The debt collector reporting was not of debt owed to them, it was of their effort to collect on behalf of the OC.  Satisfaction of a debt is not basis for CR deletion, and requesting the CRA to delete on that basis is directly contrary to CRA policy that furnishers not delete based on ultimate payment of the debt.

The instant the debt was paid, the OC was required to notify their debt collector that collection was terminated due to the lack of any remaining debt.

At that point, the debt collector was required to close their collection and report $0 now under collection.  Any deletion of their reported collection from your CR is solely at their discretion. 

The OC may agree to make an informal request of their debt collector.  However, they may not want to do so, as the debt collector's reporting agreement with the CRA specifies that they should not delete based on payment of the debt, so the OC would be asking them to act counter to their credit reporting agreement.

To ensure the request at least gets to the debt collector, I would send them a GW request, and hope that the OC supports it in some fashion.  I would not count on it.

Might have been better, in retrospect, to have offered a PFD to the debt collector, as there was no OC reporting of concern.  Water under the bridge.....

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.